Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woodguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2019, 01:59 PM
    What size wood beam do I need to span 25 ft
    Want to open up a bearing wall clear span of 25 ft what size wood beam do I need
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2019, 02:14 PM
    Something that span should be engineered. What is the load? LVL beams would be the best choice and you can't make them yourself. What is the roof structure? Stick built?
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2019, 10:50 AM
    If you want to create a 25 foot clear span on a load bearing wall then you are going to need a structural engineer to tell you what is required, although I am afraid you will be putting in a steel beam for a span that long. Have you considered putting in a column or two to make the span more manageable (and greatly reduce your cost)?
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2019, 08:25 AM
    I should add that the load bearing wall distributes the load evenly across its length. If you cut openings in the wall you will be redistributing the load, and will need to add substantially to the footings to support the new load points if you go with a 25 foot clear span. Installing columns reduces the span and requires much smaller footings.

--(In)Specter1
    ICC MCP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size beam do I need to clear span 30 ft and support a live load floor? [ 7 Answers ]

I am putting a storage loft in a shop/garage 30 wide by 36 feet long. The loft will be 12 feet by 30 feet across one end of the shop. I want work space under this loft so I am looking for a clear span, wall to wall of 30 feet. This beam will have to support a live load floor above it. Should the...

What size laminated beam do I need to span 20' for my basement beam? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a one story ranch and want to eliminate the columns in a section of my basement. The beam will need to support the 2x8 floor joists which are 12' 6" from column to wall. What size beam will I need?

What size wooden beam is needed for a 15 foot span? [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen & patio. There was a sliding glass door and Kitchen window I removed to open the kitchen to the enclosed patio. Currently, there is a 9 1/2 inch beam that is 15 foot long with a 4x4 post at 8 ft 51/2 inches. Does this beam need to be changed to take out the 4x4 post?...

What size I beam do I need to span 24 feet [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a garage with storage trusses. The garage is 24' x24' I was wondering what size center support beam I need to use?

What size lam beam header is needed to clear span a 30 feet? [ 2 Answers ]

The beam is needed in a 30x40 garage. We are using trusses that are speced to clear span 40 feet but want the extra support in the center.

View more questions Search