Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 11, 2019, 04:09 PM
    Millions and millions of dollars, perks and favors have polluted the process. They have again legalized corruption. That's the problem with those old books and laws. They need updating because over time greedy b@stards always figure out how to get around the good intentions of the ancients.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2019, 06:14 PM
    So you agree with me .The problem with the process is the politicians ;not the people trying to influence the government . It could all be quickly reformed by term limits .

Unfortunately ,the traditional way to amend the constitution for changes like instituting term limits is Congress proposing the amendment . And you know they would never vote to end their jobs.

However ,in their wisdom ,the "ancients" :the framers ,gave us another way to amend the Constitution ,a convention of the states .To get it moving 34 states have to petition for a convention to propose amendments. To date ,27 states have signed on . We are getting close. Any new amendments proposed would still need the approval of 3/4 of the states .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2019, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    So you agree with me .The problem with the process is the politicians ;not the people trying to influence the government . It could all be quickly reformed by term limits .

Unfortunately ,the traditional way to amend the constitution for changes like instituting term limits is Congress proposing the amendment . And you know they would never vote to end their jobs.

However ,in their wisdom ,the "ancients" :the framers ,gave us another way to amend the Constitution ,a convention of the states .To get it moving 34 states have to petition for a convention to propose amendments. To date ,27 states have signed on . We are getting close. Any new amendments proposed would still need the approval of 3/4 of the states .
    Given the way the electoral college turned out in the Trump election 75% seems a tall order
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2019, 07:14 PM
    but there are some issues we agree on. term limits for Congress is one of them . I think SCOTUS needs term limits also .
    Expert

Apr 13, 2019, 05:25 AM
    We do agree, but term limits is not a silver bullet, there will be those that get what they can, while they can, and we still have to have some safeguards against that human dynamic. I think the founders recognized the cultural differences of so many immigrants and made this a slow thoughtful process for a reason, because attitudes do change as more data is revealed. The more that can share that data, the more consensus (Or conflict... you know people) can be reached... over time.

No matter how much consensus we reach the question will always be will the opposition accept it, or subvert it OR EXPLOIT it. I think that's where we are now in the process.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2019, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    We do agree, but term limits is not a silver bullet, there will be those that get what they can, while they can, and we still have to have some safeguards against that human dynamic. I think the founders recognized the cultural differences of so many immigrants and made this a slow thoughtful process for a reason, because attitudes do change as more data is revealed. The more that can share that data, the more consensus (Or conflict... you know people) can be reached... over time.

I think your founders just wanted to screw the opposition, they really didn't want the federal government to have any power, so much emphasis on states rights and yet a state didn't have the right to succeed, so no freedom in that. So much for; we, the people. When we took a look at your constitution and used it as a model, we corrected that, so the federal government had real power, and the states basically could offer a review function and do all the real work
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2019, 04:02 PM
    The fallout continues
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...cid=spartandhp

The fallout from this Al Jazzera gig continues. Leader of One Nation, Pauline Hanson is distraught as another candidate is forced out in the middle of an election campaign. With just two weeks to the poles it is doubtful the party will recover its position
    Expert

Apr 30, 2019, 06:53 PM
    You Aussies are quite scandalous when you want to be aren't you?
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2019, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You Aussies are quite scandalous when you want to be aren't you?
    Well, only a certain sector thinks it is scandalous, the rest of us think it pathetic. What a bunch of wankers. Where do we get politicians who cannot keep it together, and it isn't just here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plots [ 0 Answers ]

Invest in which area in hyderabad is double with in a Year

Politicians and fat cats [ 11 Answers ]

Why do politicians of every party when in power give so much support to fat cats, i.e. bankers and CEOs etc in state run bodies etc give so much support to them, even at the expense of their own political careers? These people earn obscenely large salaries bonuses and perks. Often they are part...

Do you know politicians [ 1 Answers ]

Please, can anybody tell me how to find information on the famous politicians of the world. Are there any relevant websites? Thanks.

Gift of plots [ 7 Answers ]

This might not be the best place for this, but anyway.. Having gone to a wake on Friday and a funeral on Monday, the topic of funerals reared its ugly head in my household. As of now I have made no provisions for them (personally, I'd prefer to be cremated and kept at home in an urn). My wife...

Politicians ? [ 13 Answers ]

Who is the Patron Saint of Politicians ?

View more questions Search