Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nhnance21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2019, 08:10 AM
    Disrespectful adult daughter
    She is 36, married, 4 children of her own. She has no problem calling me and yelling at me for whatever is bothering her. She knows I will not tolerate her raising her voice to me, and I warn her to speak to me in a respectful tone, but she tells me she will speak to me however she wants.. at which point I tell her she will NOT, and I disconnect the call. The most recent issue was me not telling her that her brother was doing drugs (he's 29). I did not tell her because her 21 month old old (my grandson) was recently diagnosed with leukemia and in the hospital. When I found out about my son, I decided not to increase her stress any more than it was already. My son then overdosed and ended up in the hospital, and when she found out I knew he was doing drugs and didn't tell her, she called me up in work and blindsided me. She asked me why I didn't tell her and I told her because of Mason being so ill, and not wanting to stress her further. She started yelling at me and then I told her not to talk to me that way, she said she would talk to me any way she wanted, I said no you will NOT, and I hung up. This is not the first time I have hung up on her, after warning her to speak to me respectfully. I am really hearbroken that she disrespects me so much, and I am 'done' taking it. I have not spoken with her for about 6 days, and have no desire to do so. Anyone else deal with something like this, and how did you handle it? I am not a punching bag, and have feelings. I treat everyone with consideration and respect, and compassion. I do not get the same back. Thank you in advance for any guidance or experience you can relay to me.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Mar 25, 2019, 03:15 PM
    Have fun with it, ignore/avoid it. When somebody goes into a tirade just act normal, you don't even have to respond to it. Start
    talking about something else, be nice and think Happy thoughts. Start talking as soon as you pick up the phone that way she is most likely to forget herself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2019, 06:28 PM
    Stop warning and playing her game. Ignore for a while. Then hand up when she starts, not after an argument and warning

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful adult son. [ 6 Answers ]

I am a married 52 year old woman in a very unhappy loveless marriage with two sons. One will be 18 soon the other is 20. I have practically raised them myself and it's obvious to me I failed . My husband, their father used to spend a little time with them when they were smaller maybe 8 and 11. Now...

My adult daughter is so hateful and disrespectful what can I do [ 5 Answers ]

Just as I was raised to show respect to my parents and elders, so was my daughter. Somewhere along the road from age 18 to present she decided she could talk to me as she pleases, with such hate and disdain at times it kills my heart. I love my child with all my heart BUT I do not like her. She...

Adult daughter disrespectful [ 7 Answers ]

I raised my two daughters with a lot of yelling, which I feel guilty about and have apologized for. I have bailed out the youngest daughter out of so many financial situations thousands of dollars. She has three children. Two of them are young. She says I don't listen, am rude to her friends...

How to handle adult disrespectful son [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, any help would be appreciated but please be gentle on me. Im in a fragile state at the moment. To give you some background and to cut a long story short, I have been a single parent for 18 years to a son. He left home very unexpectedly when he was 18 and with an inheritance from his...

Disrespectful Adult Children [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: :( :mad: My husband and I met while he was still married to his 1st wife, and yes I was the other woman His children were 18 20 22 at the time. I have asked for forgiveness of my sins from the Lord and in the 30 years we have been married all but about 10 years of it I was openly ...

View more questions Search