Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2019, 04:21 PM
    KS State tax - other state's (MO) adjusted source income?
    Hello,

I am trying to file my KS taxes for 2018. I was a part year resident and moved to MO. My income source was only from MO all through the year.

On Schedule-S, Part B I'm assuming that KS source of income is the KS state wages, tips reported on W-2. Is that correct?

Now, while filing the credits for taxes paid to other states, I'm being asked, Other states' adjusted source income - Income derived from other state and included in Kansas Adjusted Gross Income (KAGI). Is this the same as MO adjusted gross income or is this the same as KS state wages, tips reported on W-2?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2019, 07:33 PM
    Collegian,

So you lived in Kansas, then moved to Missouri, but worked in Kansas the entire year.

You pay taxes to Kansas for the entire year because you WORKED in Kansas the entire year. Kansas has the right to tax all income earned within state borders.

You get NO credit for taxes paid to Missouri because you paid those Missouri taxes ONLY while your lived in Missouri.

You DO get to claim a credit on the MISSOURI return for the taxes paid to Kansas while you lived in Missouri. You will have to estimate how much Kansas taxes you paid while you lived in Missouri.

ATE

Mar 23, 2019, 08:15 PM
    I worked in Missouri all year, only lived in Kansas for part year and then moved to Missouri.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2019, 08:42 PM
    Okay, then you complete the Missouri return, paying on all of your income since it was earned in Missouri.

Then file as a part-year resident of Kansas, requesting a credit for Missouri taxes paid while you lived in Kansas.

Mar 23, 2019, 10:28 PM
    Yeah, I finished the Missouri return but had those questions regarding the Kansas return. Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2019, 10:43 PM
    Glad to help!

Mar 24, 2019, 03:38 PM
    Just one more question.

What should I fill in for this?
    Income earned in the other state and included in your Kansas Adjusted Gross Income. If not a resident, this is the amount earned while a Kansas resident.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 24, 2019, 03:44 PM
    Determine what portion of your Missouri-sourced income you earned while you lived in Kansas. This is grade school math. Take your total 2018 wage, divided it by 365, then multiply the result by the number of days you lived in Kansas.

That's your Kansas Adjusted Gross Income.

Mar 24, 2019, 04:10 PM
    Hmm I was putting the same number for Kansas Adjusted Gross Income as the Federal adjusted gross income (as reported on my federal income tax return) so that's why it was coming out to be a lot higher than it should. What you said does make sense but K-40 instructions don't seem to mention anything about this.

Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 24, 2019, 04:45 PM
    I have been doing this for OVER 40 years, so I know how to read into the instructions.

Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax treaty benefit and Adjusted gross income for state tax returns [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusion/query regarding my state tax return forms, I'm filing it for the first time. I took the tax treaty benefit while filing my federal tax returns (I used glacier tax prep) and so my adjusted gross income is coming out to be zero and total income exempt by treaty is showing...

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

Nonresident Alien and Non-New York State source income [ 1 Answers ]

I am a F-1 student visa holder and nonresident alien for federal tax purposes. I lived in New York City for 2006 and had a student fellowship from a non New York State source. Am I required to fill out a New York state tax return?

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

Source of income different from state of work and residence [ 1 Answers ]

I was in F1- OPT from feb 1 of 2005 and got employed by a firm in NJ and am working as a IT tech support for a client in Nashville ,TN. I have been living in TN for about an year now. I have been paying the federal tax (15%) and also the NJ state tax till date. From August I have transferred to an...

View more questions Search