Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lajaco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2019, 04:20 PM
    Cat5 Cable Works But Cat7 Does Not
    I recently purchased a Cat7 cable to run to my laptop since my old Cat5 had one of the ends get busted. The cable worked fine for almost a month before suddenly not working at all. I checked that it was a problem with the cable by using another Cat5 cable that my wife uses and that worked just fine. So I got in touch with Amazon and got a replacement cable which does not work right out of the box. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything relevant. As an additional note, both my computer and my xbox read that a cable is attached they just can't identify the network. The wired connection blurb just continually says "Connected" but "Identifying". Lastly, when I try to troubleshoot the problem the error that I get is:

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP address.

The cable specs are: Cat7 Ethernet Cable Nylon 16ft High Speed Professional Gold Plated Plug STP Wires RJ45 Ethernet Cable

No idea what the original Cat5 specs are. Just a standard variant.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 20, 2019, 05:44 PM
    You shouldn’t be using a Cat 7 patch cord unless the entire network is Cat 7, which is highly unlikely, Stick with a Cat 5e patch cord, or perhaps Cat 6. The problem with Cat 7 is that it uses a different wiring pattern and a non-standard plug which may or may not work with your equipment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring CAT5 for DSL on dry loop, with new jack [ 4 Answers ]

I do NOT have a house phone, and currently have DSL set up through a dry loop. I have had problems w/ connecting for 3 months. DSL provider sent me a new modem/router which solved most of the problem. I think the remaining issues are within my wiring. I have an old house, and the wires from the...

I replaced the cable, cleaned & lubed the deck parts, works fine until I attach cable [ 0 Answers ]

42" Craftsman mower. I can move the idler pulley easily, the cable moves fine (new) but when I attach the cable it won't pull the idler pulley. I don't see any visible reason for this. Any ideas?

Running Electric, Cat5, and Telephone Cables [ 1 Answers ]

Hi -- I'm new to this site! Thanks for making it available. I have a new 18x36' shed that I am going to put a sub-panel in. The sub-panel will be 100 amps and is approximately 120' from the main panel located in the main house. So, I will be running underground electric cable from the main...

PC to PC through cat5 [ 1 Answers ]

Help911, usually, with no TCP/IP internet connection such as through a DSL modem and/or router, you can connect 2 pcs together using a cross-over CAT5 RJ45 cable Or a hub with an uplink port to connect a non cross-over CAT5 cable. A pre-made CAT5 cross-over cable is much easier to use (and...

View more questions Search