Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mikezx10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2019, 09:49 AM
    Heat traps nipples same direction? In wrong direction?
    I just put in a new hot water heater. I noticed plastic and flaps inside the nipples, the nipples came with Teflon on so I put Teflon side down and installed the hot water heater. I'm not a plumber and I thought the nipples were funny so I started googling and noticed that the hot side and the cold side are probably different. There was nothing to tell me which one was hot or cold so I have a 50% chance that I put them on the wrong side :(

Is this dangerous? Does it make that much of a difference that I should be concerned and take it apart and check ( it took me 1/2 a day to connect it so its no short job to check and if I was wrong swap them).

Much thanks!!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2019, 11:36 AM
    There should be an arrow on this type of nipple.

https://www.ehow.com/how_10041692_in...ap-nipple.html

https://www.shopyourway.com/questions/1070897

Read carefully.

My best suggestion though is have a qualified plumber check your installation.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2019, 01:07 PM
    Hi Mike

If they had teflon on them from the factory and they were not clearly marked with arrows on them then you have the simple flat flapper style heat trap nipples and they can go in either hot or cold, so you should be all set here.

Mark
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2019, 03:06 PM
    Wouldn't it be true that if he installed them upside down, he would get no water?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2019, 03:41 PM
    Hi John

If they were of the ball type, yes you are correct he would not get flow. However, he said, "
    I noticed plastic and flaps inside the nipples", so these should be the newer flat, flap type heat traps and direction should not matter in this case!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Highlights job gone wrong direction [ 0 Answers ]

I tried to add golden highlights to my med Golden Brown hair color, I now look like a brown skunk with a orange ( bright orange) roots. How do I tone this mess down? :eek:

Wye direction wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

Is it a huge mistake to have installed a 2" wye pointing the "wrong way" on a drain line?? The wye ties a shower drain into a bathroom sink drain line. Please see attached.

American are going in the wrong direction [ 2 Answers ]

American are going in the wrong direction

American are going in the wrong direction [ 1 Answers ]

American are going in the wrong direction

Am I going in the wrong direction? [ 8 Answers ]

Help, I have been married for 10 years but with him for 10 also, so 20 years, since we were in school and lately I have not been happy for about the last 5 or 6 years. My husband is a drinker and very lazy we have 2 kids and he doesn't help me do anything at all around the house, with the kids,...

View more questions Search