Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Markia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 04:36 PM
    North Carolina Tenant Laws- Confused.
    I am staying with two roomates who have allowed me to stay in their apartment with the agreement to pay rent. I have paid rent for Jan. Feb. March and April. April is not yet over but they are saying that I have to leave even though I have paid already for this month. I have not posed no threat to them or anything like that. They have basically given me only few hours notice. Is this right? What should I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Even though you are not on the lease you have establish residency. You are a month to month tenant and they must give you a 30 day notice. Any other clue or info that would explain their decision to boot you out?
    Markia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Even though you are not on the lease you have establish residency. You are a month to month tenant and they must give you a 30 day notice. Any other clue or info that would explain their decision to boot you out??
    But my name is not on the lease... just theirs... they still have to give me 30 days notice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Yes, they lease from the landlord, and you sub rent from them, you have a legal agreement with the two people on the lease, and you have a verbal month to month rental. So they are requierd to give you proper notice to move out as a renter.

Apr 20, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Markia, please reread my last post. Yes, you are not on the lease but they must give you a 30 day notice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 20, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Legally you have established residency. Hopefully you have cancelled checks to prove the rental payments. This means they are your landlords and have to adhere to whatever rules are imposed upon landlords about evicting tenants. Unfortunately, NC Law requires only one week's notice for a month to month tenant. (see this thread:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...law-84208.html)

I would approach them and tell them you are sorry it didn't work out, but you need more time to find a place to stay ask for a little more time.

Apr 20, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I can go along with Scott but I thought that part of the law only applied to mobile homes and manufactured housing units. "where the tenancy involves only the rental of a space for a manufactured home " In any event, you have gotten some good advice and hopefully they will lighten up on their demands.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 20, 2007, 10:13 AM
    The way I read it, the 60 days is what applies to mobile or manufactured homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A little confused about South Carolina eviction laws [ 7 Answers ]

Can a landlord evict you with a 3 day hand written notice in the state of South Carolina ? I have not been able to find specific laws concerning South Carolina eviction laws. This is a month to month rental, no kind of written agreement at all.

Transfer of probation from Georgia to North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

I am receiving probation from the state of Georgia. The probation laws in GA state that GA only has supervised probation for 24 months. Meaning, if I received 3 years probation I would only have to report to my probation office each month for 24 out of the 36 months. I currently live in...

North Carolina prepaid group insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Does North Carolina have prepaid group insurance?

Vent/Stack Question from North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

HELP!! I am new to this so please bear with me: I am building a new house by myself... i.e. no contractors due to cost... I have three levels of bathrooms... all stacked above each other... the way I read the code I can install one stack/vent and if I stay within the "critical distance" I can...

View more questions Search