Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nattayfox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2019, 08:09 AM
    Can the murder of Matthew Shepard be compared to the murder of James Byrd Jr.
    This is one of the debate topics I have for an english assignment. Could someone help me out as I need a couple of points for both affirmative(Yes it can) and negative (No it can't).

Some of the points I already have are:

Affirmative - Both victims of discrimination
    They can definitely be compared to one another as they were both essentially victims of discrimination whether it be their race or sexual orientation, they were murdered for whom they were/identified and not for what they did. Both homophobia and racism are forms of prejudice, they are moreover bred by society, no one was born homophobic nor racist, they came to this conclusion and judgment because of the environment they grew up in or a situation they witnessed, they are both cases of nurture rather than nature and are both methodologies of dehumanisation.

Both brought national attention to existing hate crime laws

Negative - The core of them aren’t the same (Ones a phobia, ones hate)
    Homophobia is an actual fear whilst racism is hatred.

Ones based off physical aspects while the other is emotional
    Additionally although both are not by choice,. meaning that one is more towards the exterior, something that cannot be felt as an emotion etc.. - the way it is is literally the way it is, whilst the other is an internal feeling. One is also mainly derived and related closely to religions (because of the Bible stating that gay people are sinners).

talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2019, 09:09 AM
    I think all hatred is based in fear to some degree or another, but kill a human for anything other than self defence takes a lot of hate and fear doesn't it? They both feed each other is my opinion.

What do you think?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 19, 2019, 09:24 AM
    Shepard could have hidden his homosexuality, whereas Byrd couldn't have hidden his race. Shepard was Wyoming; Byrd was Texas. Both are western states - any correlation there? From Wikipedia, "Wyoming hate crime laws at the time did not recognize homosexuals as a suspect class, whereas Texas had no hate crime laws at all." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt...Prevention_Act

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Was he trying to murder me? [ 2 Answers ]

I was on the bus today and an older man came and sat beside me. His breath smelled like alcohol and he had a case of beers with him. He started talking to me about how hot his sons friends were and he kept saying he didn't want to sound creepy. I asked him what his sons name was and he simply said...

What does my dream mean, Friend/Murder/Friend watches own murder. [ 9 Answers ]

In my dream I murdered one of my really good friends, but in the end when I was standing next to my friends body, that same friend was alive standing next to me and telling me thank you so much for killing her...

Murder [ 1 Answers ]

Murder of an elderly lady in her shop. The idea of ​​the film that tells the killer, and then refer crime before half an hour, adds the director of some events to the story, to change the killer, then refer hour before the crime, then we back one day before the crime, thus. In the end the killer...

Murder or not? [ 5 Answers ]

If someone sees another person collapse but doesn't ever help them or call an ambulance, and the other person later dies, but would have lived if help had been offered, is that considered murder? If so, what degree of murder is it?

Was It Murder? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a hypothetical from a story I'm working on. A guy gets shot by someone who maliciously intends to murder him (unfortunate). The shot does not kill the victim. He runs off and stumbles into a highway where he is almost hit by a truck (more unfortunate). The near miss scares the guy. He...

View more questions Search