Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxSky Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Apr 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Just out of curiosity
    What makes ExCon and Scott "experts"?
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Apr 19, 2007, 04:23 PM
    excon and ScottGem have always given straight up advise,They tell it like it is and some people just want eveything sugar coated
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
    excon and Scott have been here long enough and have enough life and professional experience that would, in itself, run circles around the majority of us. Their word can be trusted.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Apr 19, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    excon and Scott have been here long enough and have enough life and professional experience that would, in itself, run circles around the majority of us. Their word can be trusted.
    I agree 100 percent!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 04:55 PM
    What really makes anybody an expert anywhere is their training and experience. I always liked my engineer father in law's definition of a expert, ''Everybody knows what ex- means. A spurt is a drip under pressure.'' Everybody is free here to post to any thread they want whether they have a clue or not. Some people are widely respected for sticking to what they know. Others spew poor answers all over site and still seem to amass great strings of green boxes.

Those like Scott and I with expert after our name here have been designated by the administration as knowing our area well. Some might question the administrations judgment. We also have some moderation power and responsibility. We can edit or delete any post in our area and even censure those we feel are breaking the rules. Remember, bad advice isn't against the rules.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Well honestly TXSKY, your answers have been very wrong on several of the answers and subjects, one was completely off subject on the money laundering ( while it is a serious issue) the fake check scam has nothing to do with it, and I will assume you miserad the question.

And the other answer dealing with the bank making correctings and the bank rules, may be policies in the banks you dealth with but were not again, relivant to the issue asked.

As for Scott and excon, they both have formal education and a lot of life experience ( I have known them for years, excon longer as he has been an expert on this and other boards for at least 7 years)

To as a new person coming on to a board, I would say being nicer and paying more attention to reading the question will help you a lot more than attacking other posters.

And often posters need to be told directly what the issue is, not a lot of nice and polite issues.

You may want to pay more attention to their answers, normally they are correct and to be frank they have been correct on every post I have seen where you have given wrong answers.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Hello again, Tx:

What makes someone an expert? I don't know about anybody else, but I just pay attention and a lot of stuff sticks.

excon
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
    They have been around a while, have loads of experience, and give good solid advice. Just because it isn't what you wanted to hear does not make it bad advice. If you don't like what people on here say, ignore them... but do so in your own ignorance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 20, 2007, 12:49 PM
    I don't know about excon, but I'm blushing.

But let me add to what the others have said by explaining the way this site works to you.

This is a volunteer site. ANYONE is welcome to share their knowledge and experience to help other people. Some of us have a broad based knowledge gained from years of experience, reading and education. Those that do may answer questions in many forums. Others have a more narrow area of expertise and answer in a limited set of forums.

Some of us have proven the value of your advice over an extended period of answering questions. Because of this we have been designated by the site as the resident expert in certain areas. Since I've been an IT professional for more that 20 years, I've been designated the Computer Expert. But, my job experience, personal experiences and education enable me to answer questions in other areas as well.

I'm not omniscient. I can and have made mistakes. When I do, I will admit them and thank the person for correcting my error. My only concern is that the asker get the best possible advice. On the flip side, when I see someone give erroneous or questionable advice, I will correct or question that advice.

Where you have gone wrong is not only have you questioned and criticized advice posted here, you have done so with incorrect advice of your own. I've said to you earlier, that we take pride in the quality of advice given on this site.

We welcome anyone who wants to volunteer their time and expertise to help others. We ask only that such volunteers endeavor to make sure their advice is accurate and correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search