Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MDbeagle95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Fighting Horse
    I ride at a horse center where each week I ride a different horse. I once rode a gelding who would constantly fight for a longer rein, especially when I would try to halt him. If I gave him a longer rein, he would take advantage of that and try to take off. What do I do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 06:41 PM
    I would use a martingale on him to curb the rein problem if you are intending to ride him constantly.
    MDbeagle95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Yes, that's a good idea, but my barn doesn't allow us to "change the tack", i.e. use a martingale on a horse that originally didn't give him one. But thanks for the suggestion
    anomalee Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2007, 11:24 AM
    I would decide which length of rein gives you a good contact to his mouth, without pulling constantly, and without giving him too much freedom, and hold. Don't pull, just don't give in to him either. And if you have the arm strength to just hold your ground with him, he's really just fighting himself. Don't change anything in your arms or your riding, and just hold your ground, eventually he'll realize that you aren't fighting him back, and it's a losing battle, and should just settle into it.

Just make sure, not to pull at all. That you are holding him at a good length so that he shouldn't have a reason to pull.. with just a light contact. So that you know YOU aren't causing the problem it is him. It may take awhile, and he will fight you for a bit, but eventually he will realize he can't win against someone who is not fighting him. It's like if you're in an argument with someone, and you're screaming, and they just say nothing... eventually you stop screaming too... because eventually you run out of points to argue.

The only problem is that, this being a horse that you only ride once a week, or less, will still be continuing these bad habits with other riders... so you will probably have this same argument every time you get on him for the first part of your ride. Good luck!
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Don't give him the extra lead, if you don't feel comfortable giving him the extra rein don't do it, you need control, and if you don't have that you or the horse could end up injured!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

Greiving horse [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have a horse who is greiving for his buddy, my other horse who was put to sleep 2 days ago suffering with laminitis. He is eating and drinking but is laying down most of the time with his head on the floor and I can see he is so sad. They were together for 22 years. Will he get over the...

Horse sense [ 2 Answers ]

Pull Buddy An out-of-towner drove his car into a ditch in a desolated area. Luckily, a local farmer came to help with his big strong horse, named Buddy. He hitched Buddy up to the car and yelled, "Pull, Nellie, pull!" Buddy didn't move. Then the farmer hollered, "Pull, Buster, pull!" Buddy...

Trojan Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know too much about computers, but I have AVG free for virus control on my PC and in the virus vault it says there is two trojan horse exploits? How do I get these off my computer completely so they aren't even stored in the virus vault? How does one get these viruses?

Trojan horse [ 5 Answers ]

I am running Outlook Express 6 on my Dell PC and have picked up a virus listed as c:\DOWNLOAD.EXE TROJAN HORSE. It has totally dis-abled "WORD" and despite uninstallinig it and re-installing it from a CD ROM I still can't get "WORD" to run. There must be millions out there with this problem. ...

View more questions Search