Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2019, 09:43 PM
    Do I need to file gift taxes?
    Hello,

I had to transfer money to my parents to pay towards my ex-wife's alimony. The amount was greater than the annual exclusion for the year 2018. Do I need to file gift taxes or can I skip it since it was towards alimony?

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2019, 05:13 PM
    It is NOT a gift to your parents. They are just acting as your agents to conduit the money to your ex-wife. There are NO taxes due and no gift tax return is needed.
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2019, 08:20 PM
    Thanks! The only reason I was confused was because I paid it in 2018 but my divorce was complete only this year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2019, 09:28 PM
    No problem!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I do not file taxes, but received tax form 1099 are, do I have to file a tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on SSD AND DO NOT FILE TAXES, but I received a form 1099-R showing fderal income taxwithheld for $4093.00 on my pension that I Received.Do I HAVE TO REPORT THIS SINCE THEY TOOK IT OUT Already or do I have to file some kind of form to the IRS. This is the only income I'vd received other than my...

Gift taxes? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I live in the USA. Her relatives have discovered some buried treasure in her home country. If we are given a share of this money, do we report it as income? Thanks for any help.

Estate taxes and gift taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir and executor of my late step Dad's estate. I sold the house as is for 155,000.00 and there waere two accounts totaling 20,000.00 plus two CDs totaling $8,000.00. Do I pay taxes on this? The estate tax is in IL and I live in CO. Also, if I give my brother and sister each...

Gift taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, THanks for you great advices and suggestions. I have a question? If your friend gives you some money as gift like around $15,000 Do we need to pay taxes on it? If yes how much tax do we need to pay

View more questions Search