Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoubtMel Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2019, 02:46 PM
    Should you return gifts that were given to you if a relationship ended
    I have a very simple questions if a relationship ended with a person. Should you return the gifts they gave you?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 11, 2019, 03:44 PM
    If they specifically request it, why not, but it is up to you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 11, 2019, 03:53 PM
    Usually not, but, like Tal said, if they request to have it returned (maybe it's a family heirloom), yes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2019, 04:44 PM
    Agreed, seldom,

If it was very high dollar and they asked for it back, but then still up to you, normally no
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 11, 2019, 05:01 PM
    A gift is a gift. Once given it belongs to the person it was gifted to. It would be nice to return a gift that meant something to the giver, but legally you don't have to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to best return gifts to a friend? [ 1 Answers ]

Massive XL teddys, plush toys, chocolate and jewellery from an ex friend who now hates me over a dispute over money. I want to return the lot as it's a burden on me and reminds me of the bad phase everyday. I need to meet up or something after sending a message over Facebook or text(which is the...

Returning gifts after the end of a relationship [ 7 Answers ]

One of my friends got the new iPhone 4s as a gift from her boyfriend, but a week after getting the phone, they had an argument and broke up. Her exboyfriend is now saying he wants the phone back because he paid for it and bought it outright from Apple under his name. We live in Melbourne Australia...

Received gifts from my ex husband after we were divorced. Do I have to return them? [ 3 Answers ]

My ex husband is taking me to court for return of gifts he purchased for me AFTER we were divorced. Some of these include boots specifically for me, a chinchilla that is very much MY pet, puzzles, and a shop vac. He also wants money for things he paid for on my behalf such as plastic to winterize...

My relationship ended because of the way that I am [ 19 Answers ]

:( I was dating this wonderful guy for nine months and went through hell and back for this man. Well, because of previous relationships that I had, I was very insecure and jealous and in the end it caused for me and the love of my life to break up. How do I overcome this? Does it come all at once...

Return of Gifts [ 3 Answers ]

I had gifted a $5000 animal as a commitment to a relationship - similar to the token of an engagement ring. The relationship failed and ended. I have requested to have the animal and certificate of ownership returned. I have several e-mails from past partner stating he will return the animal...

View more questions Search