Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2019, 07:51 PM
    Regarding stock options wash sale rules
    Hello,

I traded a lot of options last year and consequently my 1099-B has a lot of transactions in it. The brokerage doesn't seem to have marked if any of them incurred wash sale or not. Reading online seems to give conflicting statements. Is there a definitive guide out there on the treatment? I couldn't find publication 550 for 2018.

I am wondering if I can take losses on all of them or some of them aren't allowable. For example, I have - https://imgur.com/QGsUiIw

In this case, is -1 PUT ABBV 07/27/18 88 considered as substantially identical to -1 PUT ABBV 08/17/18 87.5?
    If so, then this makes up a wash sale, correct? Can I add the loss of the former to the cost basis of the latter?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2019, 08:07 PM
    I believe for stock options (PUT and CALL) that there are no wash sale rules. If you have losses, they are all allowed.
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2019, 08:20 PM
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2019, 08:26 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stock sale wash rule [ 2 Answers ]

If I sold 1000 shares of xyz @ $10, which I had originally bought @ $90, thereby having a long-term loss of $80,000, but which I buy back in 29 days, I would thus incur a wash sale. Now,if I sell again 2 years later 1000 shares @11, am I correct in thinking that my loss for IRS purposes would be...

Wash sale stock [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2000 stock bought in April 2005 at $ 2, this company is now $ 0.22. What are the rules for a wash sale of this stock. Thanks

Selling part of replacement stock at a loss from old wash sale [ 1 Answers ]

If I own stock that was a wash sale 100 shares was divided into 2 lots 75 and 25 with different cost basis, if I sell 1 of these lots, will it add the loss to the other lot or will it be considered a tax loss.

Wash Sale in stock trading [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to find out if the following scenario will be considered a wash sale. Let's say: Lot#1: You first buy 500 shares at $4 per share. Lot#2: A week later you buy 500 shares of the same stock at $3 per share Lot#3: A week after that you buy 1000 shares of the same stock at $2 per share ...

Multiple stock trades within a month and wash sale rules [ 2 Answers ]

I bought some stock through employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) on Dec 1st, 2008. I sold these stocks on Dec 5th for a modest profit. Then on Dec 8th I sold some stock from my old ESPP offerings to book long term capital loss. Since I have no long term gains this year, I plan to offset my short...

View more questions Search