Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miker7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2019, 11:45 AM
    02 Lowrider cranks but won't start
    Running out of options! Thought I had a pretty good grasp of all things electrical and mechanical with this bike.. This is getting ridiculous! Bike was idling on its stand for approx. 15 minutes. Was away from bike and returned to find it shut down. Attempts to restart fail.
    With switch on: Full lights , check engine lit and extinguished after 5 s, speedo initializes (needle drops below 0 then 2s buzz and return to zero).
    New and fully charged battery, new Moroso Ultra 40 plug wires, clean plugs, new crank position sensor, new DynaTek TC88 ignition module.
    02 Dyna service manual purchased and began working through troubleshooting flow charts.
    Manual diagnostic mode tests and status indications:
    Switch off, jumper between diagnostic port pins 3 and 4 then switch to on position.
    – check engine light response with (2) series of 3 pulses over a 2 second period followed by 2 second delay and another (2) sets of 3 flashes over a 2 second period. This has been identified as the intermission pulse sequence that signals the beginning of DTC error code dump. Since this pattern is repeated continuously, concluded that there are no stored historical or active codes.

No Secondary ignition spark at plugs – All fuses and breaker is good, seeing good source voltage
    Don't have a scanalizer diagnostic tool so using a DVM and 0-14VDC continuity testing light
    Bank angle sensor (tip over disable) in TSM activation tested using DVM on TSM pin 10 (ignition enable node) and measure with respect to battery ground. Cycling ignition switch to ON and with TSM upright, Pin10 voltage = +.5VDC. When TSM is tipped 90 degrees, voltage measures 3.6 VDC – This level will disable ignition at pin10 of black connector to Ignition Module. Confirmed that .5vdc level set on that pin.

Disconnected 3 position Ignition coil input connector and with Test lamp - Center lead has 12vdc with key /run switch on
    Cranked engine while probing positions a and c on connector (Forward and rear cylinder ignition signaling) and see NO flashing light in either position
    Measured AC voltage between pins 5 and 6 on Ignition module (crank position sensor inputs) and observed 3.4 VAC rms on DVM while cranking.

At this point manual recommended the replacement of Ignition Module . Replaced original screamin eagle module with DynaTek TC88 -2P part that was considered compatible after talking with vendor technical staff – NO change in no start condition

Confirmed power to ignition module at pin 1 of black connector and proper operation of RUN/STOP switch – good ground connection confirmed on pins 2 and 11 of black connector at Ignition module
    Began systematically measuring for continuity module to module with no intermittent or open connections
    Resistance across the crank position sensor is 855 ohms
    At complete loss on where to go from here. Shop manual basically gives up and vaguely mentions a mechanical problem at this point

Check out some similar questions!

Cranks, but won't start [ 28 Answers ]

I have a 94 honda accord dx, the car cranks but won't start I just put in new fuel pump and main relay, when I put my key into the on position I hear no sound from the fuel pump when I turn on the a.c I can hear the fuel pump power up for 3 seconds crank it still no start.

Changed starter on my 98 grand am now it won't start.cranks over but won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I changed the starter on my 98 grand m with the 2.4 engine .now it won't start. Check all the fuses seems to be in order but won't fire up just cranks over

Car cranks but will not start [ 13 Answers ]

My nissan sentra will crank over and tries to start but will not start.Just last week it started to chug a little after turning the key and then ran fine,now it will not start at all.

Cranks no start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1997 power stroke diesel engine. I have fuel pressure, It cranks but no start. I can get it to run only with starting fluid. Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Cranks, but won't start. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Toyota pickup with a 22RE engine. It will crank over perfect but only attempts to start as if it were starving for fuel. It will run on starting fluid, but then dies out.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.