Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chewie555 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2019, 10:46 PM
    How do I speak fluent English without sounding like I’m “trying too hard”?
    Hi. I’m from Hong Kong and I’m still learning English.

There’s a problem when I’m trying to speak English is I want to be more fluent and I don’t really like my Hong Kong accent,people say accent don’t matter but to me the accent sound bad because it’s very choppy and not fluent,that’s the thing about my accent I hate.It’s not the accent itself,is the choppiness of it.

The actually problem for me is when Hong Kong people trying to sound fluent,even if we ACTUALLY sound fluent and nice.It’s just kind of weird that fluent English coming out of a person with a asian face,it feel like that we are be like “Oh my English is so fluent I sound like a native speaker” which is annoying to other Hong Kong people.

So the only way to avoid this is we speak with a Hong Kong accent ON PURPOSE but I just hate it.

Is that a way to speak fluent English as natural as possible and don’t sound “forced”?

Thank you for answering my question.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 3, 2019, 06:00 AM
    Relax, even people who were born speaking English have accents and far from fluent.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 3, 2019, 09:47 AM
    You should hear me when I speak Latin -- or even my ancestors' language of German! When I was in a Chicago-area hospital last year, I heard so many delightful accents from all over the world.

For smoother speaking, frequently talk with a friend, and read out loud to each other from English storybooks or novels. Do you know a native English speaker who will work on this with you?

Like Tal said, even native Americans have accents, depending on where they're from in this country. (Tal is from a western region and doesn't pronounce words like I do who is from the eastern part of the US.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2019, 01:15 PM
    Everyone has an accent, and you will most likely always have one. I have one (southern) My wife has one, (Chinese)

You may, after many years when you get better at English, start working on pronoucing. But you will have always some

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want program to make me talking English fluent... [ 2 Answers ]

If u can help me in that because its very hard found foreign to talking easily and I can't found any sites to make me can talking and Correct the mistakes

How to speak english well [ 1 Answers ]

I am chinese,My English is very poor,bu I want to improve my english level,I study hard but it work little .I want to get a kind of shortcut to have progress,Who could tell me? >Moved from Forum Help<

Speak english [ 7 Answers ]

I'm new in this sit and I do not speak english as first language So I want help to know this languge very well

He doesn't speak english! [ 2 Answers ]

I've just started a relationship about 3 weeks ago, and so far it's been going well. The only problem is that he doesn't speak english! I just wonder if it can go anywhere fuurther. I speak spanish, and am helping him to learn some english. I want to have a serious relationship, but am not sure if...

View more questions Search