Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 10:03 AM
    1991 Honda Civic
    I have a 1991 Honda Civic,4 Cylinder, Standard 5 Speed Transmission, 4-Door, not an SI, with 95,000 miles on it. I just recently purchased it. It will crank but will not start. I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he has been trying to get it running for me (for free) but I am getting frustrated because he has had it for almost two months now with no results. He claims to have tried a different fuel pump, tried switching out the relay, and has checked the wiring to the fuel pump. He is convinced it has something to do with the fuel pump. Obviously I am not totally convinced of his opinion. My question would be 1.) if he tried a different fuel pump, relay and checked the wiring, wouldn't that have ruled out the fuel pump? 2.) What else should be checked that would allow it to turn over but not start?
    Oh, by the way, the distributor has been changed out previously.

Like your site, and thanks for any help you can provide.
    Michelle :o
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Several things can keep a car from starting. The basics are, pull a spark plug wire and see if you have spark, and remove a fuel injector and see if it sprays gas. Be careful where you spray gas. If you have spark and gas, look at the timing. Pull the distributor cap. Turn the engine to where the line on the pulley lines up with the scale next to it. The rotor should now be pointing to the contacts for either #1 or #2 spark plug wires. If not, it is out of time. If the rotor doesn't move when you turn the engine, the timing belt is broken. If so, $$$$$$$$$.

Check other threads here on Hondas for more details.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 20, 2005, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle1974
    He claims to have tried a different fuel pump, tried switching out the relay, and has checked the wiring to the fuel pump. He is convinced it has something to do with the fuel pump. Obviously I am not totally convinced of his opinion. My question would be 1.) if he tried a different fuel pump, relay and checked the wiring, wouldn't that have ruled out the fuel pump? 2.) What else should be checked that would allow it to turn over but not start?
    First thing you should do is listen to labman. Have your mechanic make sure the car gets both fuel and spark. If there is no spark - there might be a problem in the distributor assembly (igniter unit, ignition coil, spark plug wires, spark plugs), and if there is no fuel - there might be a problem in delivering fuel, or fuel injectors. Fuel pump gets electricity through a Main Relay, so if the relay is faulty, the fuel pump won't operate. If fuel injectors have too much resistance between the two pins on them, they won't open and let the fuel through. If both fuel and spark are present, you only need the right timing to start the car.

Your ECU stores error codes for errors it found. Have your mechanic check for errors - it might lead him in the right direction. For all of the above - you have more detailed instructions on other posts in this forum. Just search for "Honda Civic" in this forum, you'll find everything.

Just a small note - if your ECU shows error code 16, it means you have a problem in the fuel injection system. Just bare in mind that Main Relay is a part of that system, and that it should be double checked as well.
    MFM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Hey OK I have no idea how good your friend is at fixen car but the 3 thing you need to start a car is spark, fuel, and compretion. So make sure you have spark and compretion.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 13, 2008, 12:59 AM

I'd send it back to Japan

( l OO l )
    .. .
    .. lol..
    _____
    aorsic3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Probajte pregledati dodatni osigurač koji se nalazi na insalacionoj kutiji.tako se I meni dogodilo ,imam isto takvu hondu.
    aorsic3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Comment on ShadyLady's post
    No! Honda good car!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the previous post about late 80-91 hondas. My car idles great and always starts on the first try. My problem is that it sputters or looses power once in a while when I am driving. It has never stalled while driving.I have taken it to the shop and they have checked everything they think...

1991 Honda civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Not getting spark so I checked the distributor. The blk/yel and wht/blu for battery voltage. Both had voltage. Checked the Blu and what body ground for continunity. Neither had continuity. Any idea why neither blu going to the ECU or what going to the TAc wouldn't have continunity>

Problems with my 1991 honda civic dx [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my 1991 honda civic dx it overheats when I am sitting in traffic but not driving. I changed the fan sensor already and have noticed that the fan doesn't come on, What could be the problem is it possible that both fans went out at same time? Also getting error code 16 from ECU...

View more questions Search