Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelpMe-2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2019, 08:33 AM
    Am looking for a Nativity movie I saw on TV.. It concerned their troubles.
    Am looking for a Nativity movie I saw on TV.. It concerned their troubles since Mary was with child and not married. She was almost stoned to death, but Joseph saved her. It also went into how she met Joseph and they went on the journey together.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2019, 11:19 AM
    And what troubles you?

It appears they took some liberties to make a movie.

Joseph and her were engaged to be married, which means if she was pregnant she could have been divorced in private by Joseph, A public divorce would have bought shame and disgrace to not only Mary but also Joseph. While a stoning could have happened, had Joseph called for it, and accused her of adultery, this while legal, was not the common and norm at the time for a couple already engaged. Most people will and just assume the child is Joseph's. So, no there was no "near" stoning, and Joseph did not save her from stoning, but it could liven up a movie plot.

We are not told, not even in legend how they meet, but it is assumed by most that it, as in all marriages at the time were arranged, and it is possible that they either did not know each other or barely knew each other prior to the marriage. Most assume that Joseph was much older, (since he disappears sometime after Jesus 12 before Jesus started his ministry. And that Mary was younger. Some feel Joseph may have been widowed also.

The trip they took was because of the Roman ruler ordered a taxation and counting (census) of the population.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The nativity story [ 2 Answers ]

This is our favorite Christmas movie. I know that Jesus was not born in December, but it is when we celebrate it. And this is our Christmas eve tradition. But I was wondering, which, If any, church/denomination wrote this movie?

No Nativity scene this year. [ 1 Answers ]

The latest news from Washington, D.C. The Supreme Court has ruled that there cannot be a Nativity Scene in the United States' Capital this Christmas season. This isn't for any religious reason. They simply have not been able to find... Three Wise Men in the Nation's Capitol. A...

No Nativity Scene in Washington this year! [ 3 Answers ]

There will be no Nativity Scene in Washington this year! The Supreme Court has ruled that there cannot be a Nativity Scene in the United States Capital this Christmas season. This isn't for any religious reason. They simply have not been able to find Three Wise Men in the Nation's...

What movie had a tiger that sang 'Nobody Knows the Troubles I've seen?' [ 3 Answers ]

I saw it when I was a kid. I think it had siblings that were bored and then slid down the slide and the world was transformed into this exciting cartoon world. It was over ten years ago, so I may be wrong with the details... And there was a tiger that was mean, but secretly was sad. I remember him...

I am looking for the gare bear nativity. The three kings any help would be great [ 0 Answers ]

I am looking for the gare bear nativity. The three kings any help would be great

View more questions Search