Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windermere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Power of Attorney
    Does one have to be an lawyer/attorney to have the power of attorney? My brother has applied power of attorney for my mother who has senile dementia.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Ok, no power of attorney has nothing to do with being an attorney, power of attorney merely means they can sign for the other person if they are not available or unable to sign.

BUT, if your mother has dementia, he does not need power of attorney, since that does not allow him to make her choices, only sign for her, he needs ( or someone needs) guardianship. Why did not both of you not try to be joint, perhaps requiring both of you to sign before any money can be spent?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of Attorney [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I have been assigned power of attorney for both parents. I am afraid that my brother will go to the bank and put all of my parents assests in an account with his name only. Can he legally do this?

Power of attorney [ 3 Answers ]

If I'm the power of attorney for my mother due to her illness can I file bankruptcy for her under my social security number for her.

Power of Attorney [ 2 Answers ]

If you have issued a power of attorney in the past, is there a time this expires? How do you revoke a power of attorney if you do not know if it is still in effect?

Power of Attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

I will most likely not be present when we close on our house. I want to handwrite a power of attorney and get it notarized. Will this be sufficient? Here is an example of what I will write: To Whom It May Concern: I, insert name, born on insert date with social security number insert...

Power of attorney info [ 1 Answers ]

I ned info for a speech to teenagers

View more questions Search