Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eldoyle1111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2019, 10:05 AM
    Honeywell thermostat CT8602
    The thermostat is about 15 years old. I can't get my heat up to the set temperature. I have it set at 72 degree all the time, morning and night and it slowly falls during the night. I have had both a boiler technician and an HVAC person and both say everything seems to be working fine. I am wondering if it is the thermostat. Can you suggest anything that I can try. The heating system comes on and goes off supplying heat, like it always has, but unless the outside temperature is in the 40s I can't the temp up to 72.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2019, 01:56 PM
    You did not say what type of system you have, as the type of heat can make a difference and the age of the system, not just the age of the thermostat.

If the spot where the thermostat is getting to temp, then it will go out (even if other parts of the house cold) so checking that temp area would be good.

Assuming the boiler controls are operating correctly, and the thermostat is telling the system to shut down, then it has to be that.

This appears to be by the number a programmable unit, so an error in programming that is telling it to lower temp at night, may be happening.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 10, 2019, 08:40 AM
    After a manual cycle your tstat may be defaulting to it's program. You never said what the actual temperature was but sometimes if the set temp is to close to the actual temp, you get this kind of symptom, not enough heat. Check your program settings and adjust as needed. Raise your set temp to 77, and see if that makes a difference.

Please clarify for me your post. Are you saying the set point and actual temperature on your display is not the same? What are those actual temp numbers? Or do you mean parts of your home is colder than others?

Possibility it's not the TStat, or boiler but the actual delivery systems. Baseboard, or radiator?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2019, 10:48 AM
    "but unless the outside temperature is in the 40s I can't the temp up to 72."
    That in itself is a clue. A lot depends on the insulation in the house, windows, air leaks and other things that make a house lose heat. As the ambient temperature drops at night, the heater has to work harder. A set point of 72 makes it even worse. If the outside temp is 22* and you have a set at 72*, you have a 50* differential, a lot to overcome. Then, with poor wall, floor or roof insulation, it will be almost impossible. We can't determine the real issue without knowing all the ambient factors in your house. If all the technicians say everything is OK, it is time to look at other house issues. Where do you live? Age of house, insulation R factors?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Thermostat CT8602 not working properly [ 1 Answers ]

Is it a thermostat problem (possibly batteries need replacing) or AC problem? The AC won't come on when the fan is set to AUTO. It will come on when set to ON, but it just gets colder and colder and it doesn't matter the temperature I have it set on. The thermostat was installed in 2004 (new AC...

I'm replacing a 23 year old manual Honeywell thermostat with a new digital Honeywell [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a 23 year old manual Honeywell thermostat with a new digital Honeywell thermostat model RTH111. The old thermostat has two wires (colors white and red) but no designation on the terminals. This is for a hot water baseboard gas fired boiler. Which terminals do these unmarked wires...

Replacing Honeywell LR69071 thermostat with Honeywell TH8320U1008 [ 4 Answers ]

I thought the transfer of wiring would be intuitive, but I was clearly mistaken. I have a heat pump with an aux electric furnace. Current connections are (by color) X - blue W2 - white R - red G- green O - orange Y - yellow E - brown Can anyone tell me where these should connect on the...

Honeywell CT8602 Thermostat [ 5 Answers ]

The 'Filter' light flashes permanently, and I think this is a function of running time, not filter condition. Nowhere in the instructions does it tell you how to correct this. Can anyone help? Many thanks

Honeywell Chronotherm IV Plus Honeywell Thermostat, T8624D [ 1 Answers ]

Honeywell Deluxe Programmable Multistage Thermostat, #T8624D Chronotherm IV Plus I have 2 of above thermostats and have had for about 5 years. It takes no batteries and is directly connected to a 24 volt source. Have one upstairs and one downstairs. Have noticed at times that the LCD on...

View more questions Search