Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akelawolf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2019, 06:15 AM
    Attached to mom
    I am 19, my father died 2 years ago, it was a great loss for me and the biggest trauma, after that I become very attached to my mum, every time she goes out for the shopping or city center , I am very very nervous and anxious, my hands start to get cold and shake, my heart beats fast, I think that something bad is going to happen to her, I cannot get this thoughts out of my head. So I avoid to let her go out shopping without me.. what kind of psychological condition is it? I don’t know if anyone had the same situation but I think I am the only one and I am going mad. Please tell me if you had the same problem and how did you overcome.. Please tell me what can I do.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 7, 2019, 06:30 AM
    I cannot diagnose what you are experiencing, but I do think you are feeding it to a higher scale than it need be. Not unusual to be so attached to a surviving parent, happens to us all, and is part of a natural healing process, but I suspect you are also very isolated in your social and personal interactions with others. Are my suspicions correct, or am I way off base? How is your mom coping and do you have siblings or other family members around like aunts, uncles, or grandparents?

Do you or your mom work? What kinds of activities do you do daily?
    akelawolf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2019, 08:27 AM
    You might be right, I am isolated a little bit, I have a few friends but I don't manage to see them very often, right now I am studying at the University and working in a school, and but it is a part -time job. My mom doesn't work right now, but when she worked I felt almost the same way. I don't have any siblings or grandparents. I only have an aunt which lives far away.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2019, 09:46 AM
    It's a mix of complicated grief and separation anxiety:

"What Is Complicated Grief?
    Complicated grief, also known as traumatic grief or prolonged grief disorder, can occur after the death of a very close loved one. Research suggests that it affects between 10 to 20 percent of bereaved people, and it is associated with a negative impact on physical and mental health."

"What Is Separation Anxiety Disorder?

Separation anxiety disorder is usually considered something seen only in children. But research shows that people can experience SEPAD over their lifespan, and it can even begin in adulthood in some cases. People who have SEPAD report intense and impairing anxiety about actual or imagined separations with their loved ones or home environment, leading to a need to maintain physical proximity." (All of the above quoted info is from anxiety.org)

No, this is not unusual. But you need to talk with someone about this. Is counseling available at your university? May I ask, what country are you in?

Grief can be a very disabling emotion. Almost a year ago, my younger son died very unexpectedly and suddenly of a blood clot that had traveled to a lung. I am still going through the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining with God, depression, and I doubt I will ever get to the final stage of acceptance. I totally understand what you are experiencing regarding grief. Please check out your school's counseling office. And PLEASE stay in touch!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 7, 2019, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    No, this is not unusual... But you need to talk with someone about this. Is counseling available at your university? May I ask, what country are you in? Please check out your school's counseling office. And PLEASE stay in touch!
    You took the words right out of my mouth WG. That you came here was a positive step that you are ready to unburden yourself. Have you shared your feelings with your mom? What does she say?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting attached [ 5 Answers ]

Let's start this to say that me and the man that I am speaking of are both married, which is never a good sign to start with. Anyway, he had started to flirt and wanted to get together with me. I too was attracted to him. We have gotten together and now I am starting to have feelings for him. I...

Too Attached [ 3 Answers ]

I have seen other posts like this on the site, but my questions are a tad more different. I have been dating boy for about 6 months now. My friends and family always say that when I get a new love interest, I practically worship the boy. When I love someone, I really give it my all. And the...

Too attached? [ 56 Answers ]

I think I may get too attached to guys at the beginning of relationships. I was single for about a year, and feeling really independent. About a month ago I met this new guy and we started hanging out every day. We've started spending most nights and free time together. I think about him all...

See attached [ 1 Answers ]

Sales : 36000.00 Merch Inv (beginning): 7500.00 Merch Purch: ? Merch Inv (ending): (9000) Cst of Good Sld: ...

Not getting attached [ 2 Answers ]

I've been seeing this girl for a little while now, its nothing serious but I think I mite be starting to have feelings for her. We both just got out of long relationships. Anyway the other day she told me that she didn't want a boyfirend and wanted to keep things the way they are with us right now,...

View more questions Search