Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AMRobin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2019, 11:59 AM
    Tesla coil
    Someone Please Help!

I have been watching dozens of videos on creating a mini Tesla Coil. Trying to help/teach 12yr old for up coming science project.

For the life of me I just cant get it to function. I have tried many setups regarding the resistor, transistor, primary and 2ndary coil. Had TIP31 and 47K with 9v, that didn't work.

Currently have approx. 610 winds on 2ndary (on 2" pvc). Have 7 on primary "in same direction as 2ndary", switched it from 3 to 7 to see if that works. Using 2N2222A and 10k. Using 12v (8 AA battery setup)

I found an approx. 8.3 to 8.5 fluctuation in current between main switch and Collector. Found 9.4 between Collector and Emitter. Transistor was slightly hot to touch, which is probably the plateau current not switching fast enough.

What am I missing, the electrically challenged person that I am? Is it the coil setup? The input voltage? I am clueless!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 4, 2019, 12:11 PM
    Please show the instructions you followed.

Feb 4, 2019, 01:07 PM
    No top load yet, trying to get it working.
    Switch is basic two pole.

Bottom wire from 2ndary Coil and one end if resistor to Base
    Negative from battery to Emitter
    Top lead from Primary Coil to Collector
    Bottom lead from PC and other end of resistor to Switch
    Positive from battery to Switch
    Expert

Feb 5, 2019, 08:00 AM
    How to make a mini Tesla coil | Crazy invent

Review you connections.

Feb 5, 2019, 08:49 AM
    Connections are fine. Im thinking more of impedance matter given coil size, but I don't know how to solve that. Are you electrical eng. Or enthusiast? I need a pro!
    Expert

Feb 6, 2019, 05:09 AM
    I don't get paid to solve problems any more, but what you used to build your coil is crucial, and the way it's assembled is too. For one old wire for the winding can arc or short, and your resisters may not be properly rated. And overheating your solder will ruin the integrity of your connections. Small things it may seem but humor me with your parts list so we can check the specks.

Hope this article helps it's quite a read. Lots of math.

Tuning a Tesla coil

http://weber.itn.liu.se/~stegu/onete...uide_draft.pdf

That's why I inquired as to which instruction you used to get the specific type TC you are making. At least tell me where you got your parts. A link or book/magazine will suffice.

Feb 6, 2019, 12:38 PM
    AH, now we getting somewhere... lol What you mentioned about overheating solder... thats a new one one me. Makes me wonder.

This is what I have been working with.

26 awg magnetic

Radio Shack - TIP31C, 47k 1/2 watt, 27k 1/4w and 33k 1/2w

Stern - 10k 1/2w

Farhop - 2n2222a

Name:  coil.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  596.9 KB
    Attachment 49135
    Attached Images

Expert

Feb 7, 2019, 06:21 AM
    Thanks guy the pics bring some clarity, but if I can have the assembly instruction source, and whether you used a mother board or direct soldered connections for your components. I lean toward a short in the winding of the secondary coil that is disrupting the magnetic field output. What are you using as a verification of function a light bulb? If so what size?

Is that a glitch in your first photo of the copper wire winding of the pvc pipe?

Feb 7, 2019, 09:39 AM
    I soldered additional copper wire to make larger coil. I tested with multi-meter, no break. The vlog you suggested is the wiring scheme I used. Been using CFL bulb to test.

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  864.2 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the difference between a Tesla-coil and a transformer [ 1 Answers ]

A Tesla-coil seems to be transformer only differing in it's geometrical design?

Can rf/emi filter protect house wiring from Tesla coil? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp emi/rf filter connected from my house outlet, which is standard U.S. current, to my high voltage, high frequency Tesla Coil.The emi filter is made to stop interference or damaging spikes from going from the house outlet into a device. However, will the filter stop spikes going FROM...

Tesla Roadster [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true, if the battery is down to zero, it cost $40,000 to restore the battery function.I wonder why?

Building tesla coil first timer will not fire up [ 2 Answers ]

I have car coil driven by 555 ic that part seems to work fine From car coil I have 3 20Kv 500pF caps then my spark gap Conneted to my pri. Pri is 3/16 copper wire 8'' dia approx 6'' tall At 7 windings Sec is 28ga wire 3 1/2 dia 14 1/2 '' tall 1080 windings Can't get any spark at the spark...

Tesla Coil [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have good plans for a vacuum tube tesla coil? I built the spark gap variety years ago and would now like to explore a vacuum tube version. I'm looking for something fairly small and manageable - not those massive designs with a gazillion volt potential . :eek: Thanks...

View more questions Search