Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesamj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2019, 05:53 PM
    Water heater
    I can't get my new water heater to fill up unless I turn on the water and leave it running at the sink inside the house?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 28, 2019, 07:54 AM
    Who put the new water heater in? How do you know it's not filling as it's supposed to?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2019, 05:37 PM
    Hi Lesamj

That's how it works, friend. You must displace the air from the tank in order to fill the tank with water and the only way to do that is to open a faucet (or the T&P valve on the side of the tank) and replace the air with water. When water flows cleanly out of the faucet, without sputtering, then you tank is full and you are all set to turn on the electricity (if electric) or light the pilot (if gas) and you are done!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a 4500 watts water heater for a 11 kw tank less water heater. Any problem? [ 4 Answers ]

The water heater in my house 4500 watts @ 230v. I am replacing it with a Titan tank less water heater model N-120, which is rated at 11 KW @ 230 V. My main beaker is 150 amps, the panel is rated at 200 amps. Any problems with the main breaker?

The water heater nipples leak at the union of the water heater. Not the flex lines. [ 2 Answers ]

We installed a water heater and we attached the nipples using sealing tape. The nipples leak where attached to the heater. The threads are clean and even on the nipples and feel the same on the inside of the water heater. What could be causing them to leak?

No or very slow hot water from gas water heater, heater makes lot of sounds [ 1 Answers ]

There is problem with our hot water system, not getting hot water while as cold water is OK. Starting hot water there is lot of explosion sort of sounds from water cylinder and hot water will start dribbling and stops after some time.

Water heater leak (cold side only) where the nipple meets the water heater [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a water heater and completely installed it. When I turned on the water supply, a very very very slow drip can be observed where the cold water nipple screws into the water heater. I shut off the water, relieved the pressure and unscrewed the nipple. I then re-apply the teflon tape...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

View more questions Search