Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tobita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2019, 08:54 AM
    Should I let my 24 year old pregnant daughter live with me?
    My daughter of 24 years is expecting her first child and will raise it as a single parent. We have always had a difficult relationship and she is very angry and bitter for some things that happened in our family, while she was growing up. Mainly it was because her dad and I fought a lot and separated several times.
    She moved out some time ago and has been studying and working and we have been able to get along much better. Unfortunately I am sick with emphysema and have 17% left of lung capacity. But I can live with it if I take care of myself and avoid stressed situations.
    Now my daughter “demands” to move in with me in my one bedroom apartment, cause she lost her job and can’t pay her bills.
    I am a very organized person and keep my place clean and tidy, but my daughter is 100% the opposite of me in that regard and has never respected this. When she comes to visit... her clothing is all over... usually on the floor. When she cooks something, she leaves the kitchen a mess and since I try to avoid confrontation, I clean up after her. But that I can’t do anymore. But on the other hand... how can I as a mother practically let my kid in the street? I feel terrible and don’t know what to do.
    For years we have talked about her not cleaning up after her and she promised 1000 times that she will improve this. But it has never ever happened and I know, that it will never happen.
    We live in a country where she can get help from the government,- not that much during the pregnancy... but once she has the baby, she can get good help. But I can’t live with her not even one day,- what should I do? I really feel I’m not a good mother. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you. A very sad mom.

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2019, 01:50 PM
    Where is the Father in all of this? No child support?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 27, 2019, 06:57 AM
    I too wonder about the role of the child's dad in this mess. However when reading this story I had started thinking along the lines of supporting your daughter no matter what in her time of need, as no matter what the relationship she is still your daughter carrying your grandchild. Having said that though and putting both your and her issues aside, I seriously doubt "demanding" would move me to her side at all, rather would have me helping her with other options, and no way would I agree to sharing a small space with an arrogant demanding child that caused me problems and headaches.

Where is she staying now, has she been evicted yet? I can only suggest you make your bedroom your clean safe haven and try not to stress over her shortcomings as she delivers her child and gets back on her feet. Quite the challenge you face, but seemly it's only temporary, and MAYBE it's the opportunity for you both to improve yourselves, and your relationship, and certainly a chance for you to deal with your own stress and rise to the situation since it may not be avoidable.

Either way you face dealing with your stress be it at your home, or her out on the streets or a woman's home delivering a baby. Does your location have a religious charity for pregnant women with NO resources? What is the relationship with her Dad, or his circumstances? As a Dad I couldn't imagine he can't help at some point in some way, whether you both can get along or not.

Sorry, but all your options will bring stress with them and I think you get proactive developing and weighing them, thoughtfully, and get a plan based on facts and not just feelings. Getting busy and FOCUSING on a plan is how I relieve my stress, and I hope that helps you through your own CHALLENGE. Kids will always be a stressful challenge, simply because you are a mom, and thats sad only if you don't get busy to deal with them.

Ask me how I know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2019, 02:38 PM
    My kids can only live with me, under my rules. And they would know that from day one, actually before day one, with a written set of rules.

If and when it becomes a battle or issue, it is known before hand the result.

That would be the only way a child of mine would move back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my 29 year old daughter and her 9 year son to live on there own [ 3 Answers ]

She seems very comfortable living with us and shows no signs of wanting to live on her own. She makes good money at her job but at the end of the month she would get a letter from the bank for insufiecent funds. We do have her pay us rent for the month. The only other bills she has are car...

My 16 year old daughter don't live with mother or father [ 2 Answers ]

Am I still obligated to pay my ex wife child support if my daughter doesn't live with her mother? She lives with her grandmother in California.

My 17 year old daughter wants to live with me [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 year/3 month old daughter wants to live with me and not with her mother. I am divorced and do pay child support. My daughter has not been happy for years because my ex-wife makes it hard for my daughter. Can she live with me legally? I live in NH.

My 15 year old daughter left home to live with her dad. [ 3 Answers ]

My 15 year old daughter left home to live with her dad. She said she hates me and doesn't talk to me at all unless she needs money for something. I have rules at my house and she didn't want to follow them. She gets to do whatever she wants at his house. He's never home any way and I now find...

My 25 year old daughter and her baby live with her mom and dad can we claim on taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My 25 year old daughter lives with us, her mother and step father we provide all the support for both of them can we claim them on our 2009 taxes

View more questions Search