Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KitchyGirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2019, 09:34 AM
    Occupied Japan banana planter
    I have a small planter with vibrant colors which is marked Made in Occupied Japan. It is perfect. It's a banana. Has anyone seen one of these? I'm wanting to know the value. Thank you in advance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2019, 01:32 PM
    Lots of Occupied Japan pottery on eBay. I have a matched pair of French figurines marked "Made in Occupied Japan".
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2019, 06:11 PM
    "Q: I’ve had this pair of ceramic shoes in my possession for over 40 years. They were given to me by my sister-in-law, who said they were her mother’s. I believe they may be ceramic. They are about 3 inches in length and 1½ inches at the highest point (the heels). They are hollow inside and some of the paint is faded or gone.

The shoes will be given to our daughter, and I would like to give her some historical information and let her know if they are of any value.

A: Your little ceramic shoes are stamped “Made in Occupied Japan.” While they do not have high monetary value, they are examples of a fascinating period in post-World War II Japan.

“Occupied Japan” refers to the years 1945 through 1951 when western forces occupied Japan.

Imperial Japan surrendered to the Allied Forces of Great Britain, China, the Soviet Union and the United States in 1945. The Supreme Command of Allied Powers (SCAP), led by U.S. Gen. Douglas MacArthur, then took control of the country. This involved disarming Japan’s military, establishing a new political order and eventually, helping revive the ravaged Japanese economy.

Exporting manufactured goods to western markets was part of this economic revival. All goods destined for the U.S. had to be marked “Occupied Japan” or “Made in Occupied Japan.” The products were usually inexpensive toys, tea sets and kitchen items, many of them copying western motifs.

Your little pair of ceramic shoes was made during this period. You can tell from the photographs that they were never “fine” china. The mold marks are visible and the sprayed-on color decorations have faded or washed off. Retailers including Woolworths, Sears and local five-and-dime stores sold items like these as mini-vases or dresser decorations.

Occupied Japan articles were highly desirable collectibles until the 1980s and 1990s, when reproductions began to show up on the market. You can still find active collector groups on Facebook. Your little shoes are a sweet inheritance; their monetary value is $5 to $10."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/...ccupied-japan/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement for flower planter/barrel [ 0 Answers ]

Our planter/barrel was serving duty for 9 years as our mailbox stand. Then yesterday there was an accident in front of our house and our mailbox was tragically "killed'. The web site for the mfg. Listed on the bottom of what is left of it says www.perfectpatios.com but that just redirects me to...

What is email Id of Health minister of Japan,Environment minister of Japan, Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Minister of japan and prime minister of japan

Made in occupied Japan, Rosetti Chicago [ 0 Answers ]

I have a tea cup and saucer that have come into my possession with these markings. Do they hold any value?

Planter and pedestal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm Byron I and my family have a dilema we have been trying to resolve for years. As a child my Grandmother used to help one of her aunts clean a planter and pedestal that was given to them by some people they were domestics for. When she was older and they passed on it was given to...

Occupied Japan cups and saucers [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the value of "made in Occupied Japan" china? I have a few cups and saucers that I've inherited from grandparents. I'd like to sell them but have no idea of their value. Any good websites where I might find the answers?

View more questions Search