Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Merkava120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2019, 01:21 PM
    I can't figure out this physics problem for the life of me.
    I've attempted several solutions to the following problem and I always arrive at roughly -49C, but when I submitted that answer it was marked wrong. They said the right answer is 10.8.

The density of glycerin at 25∘C is 1.26201x103 kg/m3. It's thermal volume expansion coefficient is 4.85×10-4 1/C. Imagine that I have a 1 cm diameter ball of some material with a density of 1.27000×103 kg/m3 and a linear thermal expansion coefficient of 3.59 ×10-4 1/C sitting in 25∘C glycerin. How much do I have to change the temperature of the glycerin and the ball to make the ball float (assuming that the glycerin and the ball are always in thermal equilibrium, that both the ball and the glycerin don't go through a phase change, and that the expansion coefficients don't change significantly over this temperature range)? Give a positive number if you need to increase the temperature, or a negative one if you need to decrease it.
    My solution is to plug thermal expansion equations into the equation for the buoyant force after expansion, set that force equal to the weight of the object, which I can substitute with the density*volume*g, and solve for T. I get -49 degrees Celsius.

Are they wrong or am I wrong?

All right so I just found this https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/physic...ng-u-font.html

So just ignore this question. I don't know how to delete it but I'm moving over to that other place.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 16, 2019, 08:43 AM
    To make it easier for others to follow this thread, here's a direct link to it in the homework section of AMHD:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...on-843008.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend says he needs to focus on himself and figure out what he wants out of life [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 2.5 years recently broke up with me. He admits that he is struggling with some serious depression. In fact, he even went to the doctor and got some anti-depressants and has just started therapy with a counselor. He said that he needs to figure out what is going to make him happy in...

Trying to figure out this problem regarding statistics? [ 1 Answers ]

The greater cincinnati airport led major you.s airports in on time arrivals in the last quarter of 2005 with a 84.3% on-time rate. Choose 5 arrivals at random and find the probability that at least 1 was not on time. Is this the conditional probability?

Girlfriend problem ( I THINK ) help me figure this out... [ 4 Answers ]

Okay here is my story. I'm currently studying marketing, and recently met the most amazing girl when I was out one night. We have been dating for two months now, and we've gotten to know one another a lot. She has this friend that she has known for a very long time, but he was sent to jail a...

When your boyfriend says he's not happy and needs some space to figure out life [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year. Last night he told me that he hasn't been happy with me for a while and that he need some space to figure life out, so he broke it off with me. It really hurts because we've been through a lot together. I need some advice.

How do you figure out what to do with your life? [ 7 Answers ]

I know this is such a typical, over-used question. How do you figure out what to do with your life.. I grew up in a home in which neither of my parents went to college. My mom supported my sister and I, and times were very rough. If you don't get a college degree you pretty much live off nothing...

View more questions Search