Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brumman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2019, 12:28 AM
    Replace an ecm blower motor control
    I have a Airease (Lennox) G2D95CT - 080V16C-2 natural gas furnace in which the blower motor control has failed twice. 4 years ago the original control was replaced under warranty with this set up : Motor Genteq EON 5SEA39RL V5146 with Genteq EON HD02 3/4hp control module. This time the thermistor exploded but the motor tests OK.
    So I want to replace the control module and located a used one (Genteq 3.0) which the seller assured me would work, however it had a 4pin low voltage serial input instead of the 16 pin from the main board. There is a 16 - 4 pin adaptor but Genteq says it is made only to convert from ecm 2.5 modules to ecm 3.0 and will not work with my eon.
    I have found other control modules which are HD02 but with slightly different model numbers.
    Does anyone know how critical the match has to be? Is the chip in the control actually programmed or is the program on the furnace main board?
    If there has to be a perfect match with the OEM parts then replacing is impossible without reprogramming! But I read that most manufacturers use the same programming except for Carrier/Bryant.
    If I try another similar EON module would it work but maybe not to the original specs or could it be damaged together with the motor itself?

BTW I am sure that the failures are due to old duct-work and restricted air flow - this high efficiency furnace was installed in place of a 30 year old model with the PSC motor. And this same company now wants C$1800 for the replacement motor which they say has no separate control module - probably the X-13 garbage, so this is why I want to get a replacement control for the still good motor.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 15, 2019, 07:17 AM
    BTW I am sure that the failures are due to old duct-work and restricted air flow
    If your theory is correct then eliminating the conditions for failure becomes the priority.

Jan 16, 2019, 12:11 AM
    Yes you are right talaniman, but at the moment the priority is heating my house in Canada in January! It is not my theory but appears to be the general consensus of HVAC techs and manufacturers to explain the repeated failure of these ecm blowers.
    But my main concern is about fitting a control module with one that is not an OEM original. How critical is the program (if there is one!) in the control module - would a close match still work? And is it true that most manufacturers actually use the same programming - do you know?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2019, 02:43 PM
    You can look inside a number of HVAC units and will find White-Rogers, a part of Emerson, ECM's. Here is a start or an HVAC parts place.
    https://www.grainger.com/product/WHI...l-Board-44R199
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 16, 2019, 04:43 PM
    I always thought the programming was in the mother boards, but I could be wrong. For about $200 bucks you can upgrade your motor with the module. Separately a module is expensive, if you can find one and unless you have a motor supplier near you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13283988785

Jan 18, 2019, 03:30 AM
    @ talaniman
    I also think the program is in main board in which case I can't see why another ecm control module of the same type wouldn’t work with my furnace and the motor. But I have seen some suppliers talking about programmed modules whereas most modules for sale are described as "bare modules" presumably unprogrammed. The motor itself has no program does it - so as long as the ecm control will fit the motor for basics, voltage, hp etc it should work.
    These ecm motors are a total rip off - supposedly so much better in many ways but generally seem to have an average life span (controls at least) of 5 years! Imagine the outcry if car ecm (computer) had to be replaced every 5 years!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New t-stat, blower control and blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a roommate try and replace our old mercury heat pump t-stat with a new programmable wifi digital. When he tested it the fan wouldn't work. A help line said to connect g, c and y to test it. This burned out our board. We replaced the board and still nothing. He went out and got a new...

How to replace a blower motor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heil ntgm100eha2 furnaces and need step by step direction to replace a blower motor can you help please

1 HP blower motor replace 1/2 HP ? [ 20 Answers ]

To make long story short, I have this bad air handler blower problem, a technician came and determined the motor is bad, so he replace old motor with new motor and new capacitor. The unit work for little while then it got overheat and shut down. So we are back to square one, i.e. the blower will...

How do I replace the blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

How do I locate and replace the blower motor on my Carrier weathermaker 8000 model # 58ZAV096-12.

Replace Fan Blower Motor [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a 10 year old GMC truck. The blower will operate intermittently. I am assuming the problem is not in the control knobs, etc... but instead I suspect the motor itself is worn out. Can you give me any advice on changing the blower motor? Is it a DIY kind of job? How do I remove...

View more questions Search