Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WillsnAlly Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2019, 02:51 PM
    My sister keeps taking my belongings and I'm out of options?
    I'm 25 years old with a job and still living at home with my Mum and younger sister. Well not much younger but clearly old enough to understand that helping herself to my belongings behind my back is really frustrating. It's no longer a case of "Oh could I borrow this?" as a matter of urgency or anything, as with using my mobile phone for instance to call someone, but it's constantly happening now and she doesn't even ask for permission first a lot of the time. Lately, she's taken to sneaking into my room, taking advantage of my absence when I head out to work every day, and then helping herself to my laptop because her own is broken but she doesn't have a job yet, and so can't afford to pay for it to be repaired. However, we have an iMac, so I don't see why she can't just use that instead for whatever personal projects and things like that she is working on. What's most annoying of all though, whenever I have a word with her about it, is how entitled she acts, as if I'm the one who's at fault or creating conflict out of nowhere and it's somehow an inherent right for her to barge in and take my things, yet she would very likely hate it if I did the very same which I don't because I know better. It makes me wonder sometimes if she has any realisation that a person has the right to a sense of personal ownership over things that belong to them and that should not be violated. If she wouldn't do that to anyone else outside of the family, why would she do it to an immediate family member? It's getting to the point now where I'm running out of options as to how to get through to her about this without ruining our relationship. I've tried everything, from hiding any items she'd be likely to take from me, but she always somehow finds them and takes them for herself, to having a gentle but firm word with her about it as I've mentioned already, but clearly with no success. So what am I to do now?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2019, 03:13 PM
    Put a lock on your door and keep the laptop in there when you go to work.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 14, 2019, 03:27 PM
    She disrespects your relationship while you worry about ruining it? What's wrong with that picture? Wake up and stand for yourself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2019, 04:23 PM
    Lock the door, put security on you computer/phone and so on. It should have anyway.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 14, 2019, 05:36 PM
    Speak with your mother. If you’re paying rent, then you certainly have the right to install a lock. If that doesn’t work, maybe it’s time to get your own place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing my sister's belongings from my house [ 7 Answers ]

For the year of 2013, my sister and my niece were living with me for $200 a month. In November, I informed her that her rent for 2014 would be going up to $300 a month. She pays rent at the end of every month and her last payment was in December in the amount of $200. She decided to leave all of...

My crude (sometimes violent)sister steals belongings, and doesn't acknowledge it [ 6 Answers ]

My younger sister has been stealing my belongings for a good 4 years now. Normally, this would sound like a younger sister simply "borrowing" my clothing deal, but it is becoming detrimental to my relationship with her (I no longer trust her), fuels many fights, and makes me loathe being in the...

Dishonest electrician taking advantage! Options? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I've got a terribly strange situation on my hands. I'm a small business owner with two other women, and an associate of mine recommended an electrician/handyman to do a fairly big job in my business: -Replace a single phase breaker with a 3-phase breaker in my shop, and run new...

Dishonest electrician taking advantage -- options? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I've got a terribly strange situation on my hands. I'm a small business owner with two other women, and an associate of mine recommended an electrician/handyman to do a fairly big job in my business: -Replace a single phase breaker with a 3-phase breaker in my shop, and run new...

Dishonest electrician taking advantage -- options? [ 1 Answers ]

View more questions Search