Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1966Rebecca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2019, 09:41 PM
    Second story above a vaulted ceiling
    Can you add a second story above a vaulted ceiling?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 13, 2019, 09:09 AM
    My question to you is: are you planning to keep the vaulted ceiling? And if so, how do you envision the arrangement of the 2nd story above the 1st? How are you going to utilize the space above the sloped sides of the existing ceiling and below the floor of the new 2nd story?

You can do anything with enough time and money. One key issue when adding a second story above an existing room is whether the existing ceiling joists are properly sized to serve as floor joists for a living space. Typically they are not, so adding a second floor often requires replacing the existing ceiling joists.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2019, 11:21 AM
    As Ebaines noted "You can do anything with enough time and money". I use this saying when people ask me if …… can be done. Your question leaves a lot to ask. How high is the vaulted ceiling, what is the slope angle, what is above the vault, construction features, bearing walls, access to new space etc. You need to install bearing walls, new floor joists/trusses, stairways, most likely landings as code restricts a 12 ft. rise before a landing is needed, emergency egress (people usually forget that), windows to code, add wiring, HVAC and other things I have omitted. If you are serious about doing something like this, first contact the local permitting agency to see if they would allow and then start getting ideas and quotes from insured, licensed building contractors. This is definitely not a DIY project. ,
    Specter1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2019, 06:38 PM
    You could add a second story but you will lose the vaulted ceiling. Consider expanding out instead of up. It is usually more cost efficient if you have the space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vaulted Ceiling Fan? [ 1 Answers ]

We recently moved into a new house with vaulted ceilings and ceiling fans. We have not been using the ceiling fans. Will our heating bills decrease and our house be warmer if we use them. If so, should they run clockwise or counterclockwise?

Insulation for vaulted ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best type of insulation for a house with vaulted ceilings and a tin roof ontop of OSB, with 2x8 as rafters? Need high R value since I live in WA state. I am on a tight budget too.. HELP

Moisture in a vaulted ceiling [ 10 Answers ]

I have insulated my valuted ceiling by spraying 1.5" of 2lb. Sprayfoam on the inside of the roof and then filled between the rafters with R-20 fiberglass bats and covered it with 6 mil poly then drywall. This was done per an inspectors request. BUT I have a huge moisture issue!! On the shaded...

Ceiling fan mounted at peak of vaulted ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to attractively mount a ceiling fan at the peak of a vaulted ceiling?

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search