Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brecat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2019, 09:01 AM
    Silicone heater attached to metal trays with no ground customer getting shocked
    Customer has some metal trays (moist area) & needed to add heat for they're application. They were supplied silicone heaters that attach to the trays & they say they're getting shocked. The silicone heaters don't have a ground and the customer is reading 60V to ground. Could they just run a ground to the trays to alleviate the problem?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2019, 10:50 AM
    First - A qualified electrician needs to evaluate this "on site"...
    This is a building with people who are being exposed to a serious risk
    so guessing at the answer is not an option. You will be liable if you put your hands on this issue.

That being said, this could be one of the heaters with insulation that has failed
    or this could be something unrelated to the heaters but by some coincidence is energizing the conveyor.

If you turn the power off to the heaters and the 60 volts goes away obviously you have narrowed down the problem to the heaters.

Since you are now dealing with protecting the public welfare you need to certain of the cause and the safety of the repair.
    Be Careful
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2019, 11:09 AM
    Depending on Amperage, 60VAc to ground can be dangerous. Why fool around. Grounding them only puts 60 VAC on to the ground. Turn them off until the problem is solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a receptacle ground be attached to white nuetral terminal for ground? [ 1 Answers ]

I have older house. The receptacle showed "open ground." I connected a wire from the green ground terminal to the nuetral terminal, and the meter read "correct." I left it that way because everything worked. Is it safe?

Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached [ 3 Answers ]

Can you ground an outlet by wrapping a wire around a galvanized pipe that is attached to plastic pipe under the house, or does the pipe have to be in the ground ?

Why is a ground wire clipped onto metal box [ 2 Answers ]

I am updating my electrical outlets and switches. I noticed on many of the metal boxes there is always a ground wire clipped to the box but also one connected to the fixture. What is the purpose of the one clipped to the box? Is it necessary? A clip was broken so I removed the wire for now and...

Issue with metal ring inside the flange that seems to b attached to plastic piping? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I am a female and my husband is over in Iraq so Im taking on all the house repairs. The toilet was leaking so I was told to replace the wax ring... easy enough. Once I got the toilet off the flange was broken so I had to replace it, again easy enough. Except this has turned into a mess. It was...

Getting shocked in my above ground pool. [ 4 Answers ]

I am very confused. I have never owned a pool before and after talking with some friends decided to start with one of the Intex pools that you blow up the ring and then fill with water. This seemed to be an inexpensive way to start and see if a pool would work for my family. However, several...

View more questions Search