Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ni44mi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2019, 11:57 AM
    Thermostat Terminals: connecting the old and the new
    Hello,
    I had a carrier Thermostat that I broke while moving a book case. I quickly bought a Honetwell Thermostat from Home Depot but am now confused about the wiring. The old Carrier had the following terminals:
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]White (W/W1),
    Yellow (Y/Y2),
    Green (G),
    Red (R),
    Black (S2),
    Brown (S1),
    Orange (HUM) and
    Blue (C).
    I used Gas heating and electric cooling,there is no heat pump. This thermostat used to warn me when the filters needed cleaning - never paid attention to it and reset it after cleaning by pressing two buttons (could they be terminals S1 and S2?).

The new Honeywell has the following terminals: B O G Y W Unused R and Rc.

A Honeywell phone rep said that I only need the White, Yellow, Green, and Red.

Can someone help?
    Thank you.
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2019, 09:49 AM
    Can you tell us what color wires are in the cable coming out of the wall? Are there more than 4 wires in it?

Regarding the old feature of telling you when the filters need cleaning - I suspect that was simply an automatic alarm set for every 3 months or so, and didn't actually rely on any signal from the HVAC system itself, so there is no need for any special wiring for that.

If you follow the directions that came with the new thermostat you should be fine. Should work fine with the four wires the rep told you to connect - the only question is whether you may also have a blue wire in the cable (common), and whether the R and Rc terminals should be jumpered together.
    ni44mi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2019, 11:02 AM
    This is a very helpful reply, thank you. I am doing exactly as you said and focusing on the 4 basic connectors. I have ordered a wi-fi thermostat that will use the C connector... my non-wifi new thermostat is working great.

Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What terminals are used on the Quadra gas fire place to hook up a thermostat? [ 1 Answers ]

What terminals are used on a Quadra gas fire place to hook up a thermostat? It has three Terminals the top one is TFTH middle one is TH and bottom one is TH

Dual run capacitor(3 terminals).or is single run capacitor(2 terminals) OK? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I have an older Amana HVAC system in my home. Home is 6yrs old. It Appears that my condenser unit was struck by lightning because one of the 3 terminals on the dual run capacitor was blown/melted and all the wires connected to the dual run capacitor were fried (It did storm the...

Connecting thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

How to connect new thermostat to existing one

Old thermostat wiring- C, H and V terminals [ 4 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old General Controls T-90 thermostat (2 wire) with a new programmable thermostat in use with an old heat-only floor heater (no fan). The two wires coming from the wall are not color coded and I have not been able to track down the old terminal letter designators. The old unit has...

Connecting a 24v ac thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

So I'm trying to help my ant hook up a new thermostat. To tell you the truth I don't know the brand of it. All I know is that it has R C W Y G I only have R W Y G wires coming out. I think I need one more wire to connect to the T'stat for the display to come on since its powere by 24v ac. Do I...

View more questions Search