Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    advantage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 10:36 AM
    1996 Ford Ranger 3.0 liter V6 Heater Core
    Hi I have a 96 Ford Ranger and I'm trying to figure out how to change the heater core in it because it leaks anitfreeze. And I already know that it's behind the glove box but I just can't see how to get the core out of it. I'm getting a little stressed about it. But I won't let it get to me. And I need it by Saturday morning. Can someone help me please.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Get a book on the truck from the library or other source. Usually the core removal is in there book. It could save you much time.
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Pull the dash
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Taken from ALLDATAPRO:
    Allow the engine to cool. Following all safety precautions and using a thick cloth, turn the radiator cap slowly to the first stop. Step back while pressure is released. When the pressure is released, tighten the radiator cap on the radiator.
    Disconnect heater hoses from heater core tubes and plug the hoses.
    In passenger compartment, remove four screws attaching heater core access cover to plenum assembly. Remove access cover.
    Pull heater core rearward and down, removing it from plenum assembly. Installation
    Position the heater core and seal in the plenum assembly.
    Install the heater core access cover to the plenum assembly and secure it with four screws. Ensure the cover is sealed correctly before tightening the screws.
    Install the heater hoses to the heater core tubes at the dash panel in the engine compartment. Position the hose clamps and tighten to 1.8-2.5 Nm (16-22 ilbs) .
    Check the coolant level and coolant as needed.
    Check the system for proper operation and coolant
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

May 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
    If your R & R job gets postponed, you can still drive the vehicle by temporarily bypassing the heater core, with a piece of heater hose joining the two water outlets from the motor.
    spectre31909 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Taken from ALLDATAPRO:
    Allow the engine to cool. Following all safety precautions and using a thick cloth, turn the radiator cap slowly to the first stop. Step back while pressure is released. When the pressure is released, tighten the radiator cap on the radiator.
    Disconnect heater hoses from heater core tubes and plug the hoses.
    In passenger compartment, remove four screws attaching heater core access cover to plenum assembly. Remove access cover.
    Pull heater core rearward and down, removing it from plenum assembly. Installation
    Position the heater core and seal in the plenum assembly.
    Install the heater core access cover to the plenum assembly and secure it with four screws. Ensure the cover is sealed correctly before tightening the screws.
    Install the heater hoses to the heater core tubes at the dash panel in the engine compartment. Position the hose clamps and tighten to 1.8-2.5 Nm (16-22 ilbs) .
    Check the coolant level and coolant as needed.
    Check the system for proper operation and coolant

Wrong, that is for a 94-95 Ranger, a 96 ranger requires the dash to be pulled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Ranger [ 1 Answers ]

2001 Ranger. I found dangling down from left side rear a hose with a cilp. It was attached to the axle housing. What is it for and where does it go. It just appears to be some type of air hose but is not attached to anything at other end. Should I be concerned? Thanks

1996 ford ranger [ 2 Answers ]

On the fuse panel, which one is for the dash lights?

Heater core [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and the mechanic has discovered that the heater core is clogged. The truck has 25,000 miles on it and the coolant level is in the normal range. The coolant is from the factory. What could have caused the clog?

92 Ford Ranger 2.3L [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone, what problems does the Check Engine light going on usually indicate? I was coming home tonight, about an hour highway drive and the light momentarily came on, then off, on and off. Not a flicker, but for several minutes at a time. Truck is VERy reliable and there is no indication that...

My ford 2.3 in a 91 ranger [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys my problem is that I just swaped out a 2.3 for another 2.3 and when it runs it idles fine for a little bit then it seems like starts to miss then boggs out and dies and back fires like a cannon so bad it blew a brand new muffler out of round it kind of seems like it gets a rich smell of...

View more questions Search