Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2019, 10:59 PM
    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me
    Which is it?

Ultima Thule. Six and a half billion miles to look at a dirty snow ball in the shape of a snow man. You know I think someone is laughing at us, sort of let's see what they make of this. What have they proven? Snow men exist in space? No, I think they have proven humans are stupid.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 3, 2019, 02:55 PM
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/s...-horizons.html

We can't be too stupid if we can take such great pictures of such far away objects.

tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2019, 05:45 PM
    Money well spent ! NASA gets a lot of well deserved criticism, but their space probes and the knowledge they get from them is still generations ahead of any other country. Aerobraking, gravity assisted speed and direction adjustments, navigation in deep space, were science fiction only a couple of decades ago. Now NASA is so experienced at it, these are almost routine.
    Not only the tech but the math to compute these missions is amazing .

Each one of those planetary missions builds on what has been done before, but are essentially one-offs, and the work to figure out the mission, design it, and build it, takes a very long time, and a major bite of years out of the careers of those responsible.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2019, 06:07 PM
    A Galaxy Orbiting Our Own Just Appeared Out of Nowhere

Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2019, 06:37 PM
    We can't be too stupid if we can take such great pictures of such far away objects.
    It is my contention, Tal, that we are stupid, not because we can do this, but that we make it a priority above solving the problems that exist on this planet. There is a difference between wisdom and ability, and it seems we always take ability over wisdom

Well hurrah another faint object we can attempt to reach and take pretty pictures of. Like your representation of the solar system, pity only one of these bodies is capable of supporting life, we might actually find intelligent life somewhere in the universe
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2019, 07:55 PM
    It is my contention, Tal, that we are stupid, not because we can do this, but that we make it a priority above solving the problems that exist on this planet. There is a difference between wisdom and ability, and it seems we always take ability over wisdom
    or we can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. NASA's budget is a little over$20 billion . Less than Boston spent to dig a tunnel . Of that New Horizon has cost about $700 million about $72 million a year . By contrast the Presidential election in 2016 cost $2.4 billion and combined with the congressional races cost $6.5 billion. So New Horizon's costs can hardly be called a "priority " Ask me where I'd rather see my tax money spent and you already know my answer . Through it's many course corrections and orbits around planets it has made many discoveries of our solar system ;especially about Pluto's features . Now a billion miles past Pluto it is giving us bird's eye views of objects in the Kuiper belt ,the very edge of the solar system . It's engine will last for years as it travels into deep space.
    You should be thankful that humans were curious enough to get on the ships of their time and had the courage to travel to new discoveries like Australia . The list of human inventions that are a direct result of space exploration are too many to mention. For one thing ,we would not be communicating on the internet if it wasn't for space exploration.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2019, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    or we can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. NASA's budget is a little over$20 billion . Less than Boston spent to dig a tunnel . Of that New Horizon has cost about $700 million about $72 million a year . By contrast the Presidential election in 2016 cost $2.4 billion and combined with the congressional races cost $6.5 billion. So New Horizon's costs can hardly be called a "priority " Ask me where I'd rather see my tax money spent and you already know my answer . Through it's many course corrections and orbits around planets it has made many discoveries of our solar system ;especially about Pluto's features . Now a billion miles past Pluto it is giving us bird's eye views of objects in the Kuiper belt ,the very edge of the solar system . It's engine will last for years as it travels into deep space.
    You should be thankful that humans were curious enough to get on the ships of their time and had the courage to travel to new discoveries like Australia . The list of human inventions that are a direct result of space exploration are too many to mention. For one thing ,we would not be communicating on the internet if it wasn't for space exploration.

Why do I need to be thankful. Things happen, maybe discovery might have been slower if not for space exploration but then we wouldn't have had space exploration if it had not been for war and advances in rocketry, so should I be thankful for war. You see Tom, cause and effect isn't always what it seems. No doubt I could find something better to occupy my time if not for the internet
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 4, 2019, 10:39 AM
    It is what it is Clete. Stuff happens that effects other stuff, or causes more stuff to happen. Humans tend to stumble and bumble through evolution you know, and spin the path from their own perspective.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 11:13 AM
    Why do I need to be thankful. Things happen, maybe discovery might have been slower if not for space exploration but then we wouldn't have had space exploration if it had not been for war and advances in rocketry, so should I be thankful for war. You see Tom, cause and effect isn't always what it seems. No doubt I could find something better to occupy my time if not for the internet
    Not just computers . All modern long distant communications came from putting satellites in orbit . How about solar cells ;artificial limbs ,VAD heart pumps ,scratch resistant lenses ,memory foam and foam insoles ,smoke detectors ,cordless tools ,modern water filtration systems ,microencapsulation technology to clean up oil spills radial tires that are longer lasting than steel radials , LED lighting ,all types of light weight gear for firefighting ,CAT scans ???????????????? The list goes on and on. If you look at it from an economic benefit analysis ;space exploration has more than paid for itself .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 11:43 AM
    Not just computers . All modern long distant communications came from putting satellites in orbit . How about solar cells ;artificial limbs ,VAD heart pumps ,scratch resistant lenses ,memory foam and foam insoles ,smoke detectors ,cordless tools ,modern water filtration systems ,microencapsulation technology to clean up oil spills radial tires that are longer lasting than steel radials , LED lighting ,all types of light weight gear for firefighting ,CAT scans ???????????????? The list goes on and on. If you look at it from an economic benefit analysis ;space exploration has more than paid for itself .

There was long-distance communication long before satellites, but otherwise your point is a good one.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 02:04 PM
    Tom your illiteracy in regard to technology is mind boggling. Just because a technology was adapted to space doesn't mean space is the reason for its invention. Take radial tyres as an example, they were sold before the space race got going, artificial limbs were in existence at least a hundred years before the space race. Now if we could use the energy of the Moon we would be getting somewhere, but no, we want to establish a base on a lifeless planet
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 02:15 PM
    There was long-distance communication long before satellites,
    but otherwise your point is a good one.
    Thanks . I wasn't talking Ma Bell stringing wires on poles from house to house . Wireless communication only started when there were satellites to transmit messages .New Horizon just communicated from 4 billion miles away . That is ultima thule in my book !
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 02:31 PM
    Tom your illiteracy in regard to technology is mind boggling.
    Just because a technology was adapted to space doesn't mean space is the reason for its invention. Take radial tyres as an example, they were sold before the space race got going, artificial limbs were in existence at least a hundred years before the space race
    .Your illiteracy is mind blowing . You have it completely backwards .The technology was not adapted for space . The technology was invented specifically for the needs of space travel; and then were adapted for consumer use. I was very specific about non-steel radials that are far superior to steel radials . The material used in radials today are 5 x stronger than steel radials and they were developed specifically for the parachutes for the Viking landers .
    Artificial limbs ? You must be talking about wooden limbs . I'm talking about robotic and shock absorbing comfort materials designed for NASA robotic missions .
    Environmental Robots Inc.’s developed artificial muscle systems with robotic sensing capabilities for use in NASA space robotic and extravehicular activities .They are being adapted to create more functional and comfortable artificial limbs Additionally, other adaptations of NASA’s temper foam technology have brought about custom moldable materials that look and feel of flesh.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 06:11 PM
    Yes and the Russians invented Coca-cola and other myths. Robotics is the only way we are going to explore the solar system and I agree there have been great advances in that, but what has it done for the common man, put him out of work with the excuse that it is labour saving. Robots don't need comfort. Every advance is in incremental steps, just building one idea upon another. According to you necessity is no longer the mother of invention. I have no doubt you would like to claim my artificial hip joint is the result of the space race
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 08:47 PM
    I never pictured you as a luddite . Every technological invention has created MORE JOBS and more opportunities. As for your hip ;it depends on how old it is . New steel substitute and polymers developed for space are being applied by the Israeli's in hip replacements https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...263621261.html
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2019, 10:21 PM
    Thanks . I wasn't talking Ma Bell stringing wires on poles from house to house . Wireless communication only started when there were satellites to transmit messages .New Horizon just communicated from 4 billion miles away . That is ultima thule in my book !

Not to nitpick, but microwave (wireless) technology was available around 1945 years before satellites. Not until MCI showed up was it used because AT&T didn't want to replace its nationwide copper wire system that brought in all those nickels and dimes.

Also the wire technology was far superior to wireless. Today dropped calls are commonplace, and out-of-area problems, and scratchy connnections, etc. However, a HUGE advantage with wireless is cost - far cheaper.

But, as noted, technology marches on - no stopping it. The displaced labor force goes on to the new technology - always been like that since somebody used a harness on the neck of an ox.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2019, 12:51 AM
    The displaced labour force goes on to the new technology - always been like that since somebody used a harness on the neck of an ox.
    The displaced labour force is displaced, thus generational unemployment, and the reason Trump was elected, promises of return to better days, But there was technology before the space race, something that is forgotten

I never pictured you as a luddite . Every technological invention has created MORE JOBS and more opportunities. As for your hip ;it depends on how old it is . New steel substitute and polymers developed for space are being applied by the Israeli's in hip replacements https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...263621261.html
    Cannot say Tom, three years ago so maybe okay. I'm not a luddite, I don't opposed technology and was at the forefront in my career, I just don't see space as the panacea for everything
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2019, 10:40 AM
    I just don't see space as the panacea for everything
    I don't see it as the panacea .I see it as the future . Let's put it this way . Just on objects we know of that we can reach now and possible send humans or robots to …..asteroid 433 eros has more gold and platinum than has ever been mined on Earth. Saturn's moon Titan has more liquid fuel than the known oil reserves on Earth ;Jupiter's moon Ganymede has more water than on Earth . Consider the possibility that the solution to some of earths problems could be found in the
    research, invention, and exploration of space. From a personal note I have such an easier time cleaning my cooking pans that are made of Teflon ;you know ,that stuff NASA invented for space .

I had my problems with the emperor . But this is one thing he got right :

I know that some Americans have asked a question that's particularly apt on Tax Day: Why spend money on NASA at all? Why spend money solving problems in space when we do not lack for problems to solve here on the ground? Our country is still reeling from the worst economic turmoil we've known in generations. And we also have a massive structural deficit to close in the coming years.

But we know that this is a false choice. Yes, we need to fix our economy. Yes, we need to close our deficits. But for pennies on the dollar, the space program has fueled jobs and entire industries. For pennies on the dollar, the space program has improved our lives, advanced our society, strengthened our economy, and inspired generations of Americans.
    Remarks of President Barack Obama Space Exploration in the 21st Century
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2019, 03:07 PM
    Space, your tax dollars at work. Ah, Tom, you have drunk the koolaid
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2019, 04:21 PM
    I'd rather spend my money on space exploration than
    federal grants to study how cocaine affects the sexual behavior of Japanese quails;than spending $1,7 billion maintaining empty buildings ,or the census bureau spending $2.5 million on a 30 second Super Bowl ad. ….or the $2.6 billion for 20 additional F-35s . or for the billions of other dollars spent on Congressional pet ear mark projects .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Day of Shame! [ 8 Answers ]

What is it all about? Well many might wonder. A gang of aboriginal louts attacked the nations leader over a rival politician's remarks which were so innocuous that it is a wonder they were noticed. However in a PC moment it is not possible to say anything about an aboriginal without violent...

Shame or not? [ 46 Answers ]

If a woman likes her coovorker and everyone can sense her feeling towards him even though she tries very hard not to show them: Is it a shame for her if she understands that others ( and him himslef) actually can see what's going on inside her,- that others understand that she likes her coleague...

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, My ex broke up with me 2 months ago and it's been nothing but an emotional roller coaster ride ever since. I thought with each day things would get better but in fact they seem to get much worse. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we still work together, and share the same...

A fool in love or just a fool? [ 12 Answers ]

I have been hanging out with this girl for about 3 or 4 months now we have a lot in common, I really like her and she really likes me the thing is she still has feelings for her ex boyfriend who broke up with her about 7 months ago, they were dating for about 2 years. I have really strong feelings...

View more questions Search