Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2019, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I'd rather spend my money on space exploration than
    federal grants to study how cocaine affects the sexual behavior of Japanese quails;than spending $1,7 billion maintaining empty buildings ,or the census bureau spending $2.5 million on a 30 second Super Bowl ad. ….or the $2.6 billion for 20 additional F-35s . or for the billions of other dollars spent on Congressional pet ear mark projects .

Yes Tom there are many failings in the political system but this is because you tolerate and enshrine corruption. Remove private funding of electoral campaigns, remove lobbyists from the halls of power and you will see how quickly funding disappears from pet projects like NASA. The purpose of the space race was political, this is forgotten. There was little interest in it until the Russians one upped the US and got there first, but tell me what good did it do them, did they benefit from their investment? Only in having a system that now transports americans into space
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2019, 04:18 AM
    I've documented many benefits already that have come from space exploration. You have to move on beyond the 1960s . Getting to the moon was a great achievement . I am proud of the role my father played as an engineer at Grumman. Space exploration has move way beyond those days . Most of the benefits I've mentioned happened because of the lunar and Shuttle days . Just imagine how humans will benefit from future exploration. Can you ? I guess not .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2019, 06:01 AM
    The latest picture from that snowball 6 and a half gazillion miles out there has this weird picture of a bald guy with a long nose hanging over a shelf or something and underneath it says "Kilroy was here".
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2019, 07:24 AM
    Here it is if you missed it

talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2019, 07:30 AM
    We have competition folk, and they ain't Russians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chines...ration_Program

They are quite ambitious.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2019, 09:21 AM
    Yes I have been following their progress. They did the soft landing Jan 2 . Manned missions are muck trickier and until we figure out how to keep humans physically strong in a space environment ,we won't be travelling too far. Preliminary results from ISS are not encouraging . However it all adds to the total human knowledge .
    Expert

Jan 6, 2019, 10:18 AM
    https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/s...ain/index.html

Still makes my liver quiver

8D
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2019, 11:20 PM
    Man has no business in space, it is a dangerous place for the human race, perhaps the space program going where it has is a recognition of that truth. Any challenge we undetake brings advances in technology, to suggest that we pursue space flight in order to gain mythological benefits ignores the challenges we already face requiring innovative solutions. Solve these and you may well solve some of the difficulties in space.

We need to be very suspicious of China's landing on the far side of the Moon. What purpose is served by operating outside of normal communications, testing new communications devices perhaps?
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2019, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Man has no business in space,

Mankind has huge, basically unlimited, business in space. It has nothing to do with advances in technology, although that always is a result.

We go to space because it's there. It is mankind's destiny to travel to the furthest reaches of space and then to see what's on the other side. It is our nature to explore the unknown. Nothing will ever change that.
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2019, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Mankind has huge, basically unlimited, business in space. It has nothing to do with advances in technology, although that always is a result.

We go to space because it's there. It is mankind's destiny to travel to the furthest reaches of space and then to see what's on the other side. It is our nature to explore the unknown. Nothing will ever change that.
    Another one who has drunk the koolaid, this is not the same as a voyage to the New World or Australia in a leaky boat. No matter how much science fiction you swallow certain things are lacking vital to our wellbeing, gravity, atmosphere, shielding, propulsion
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2019, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Another one who has drunk the koolaid,

That Koolaid is delicious (hic) - you ought to try some.
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2019, 10:48 PM
    I have read much science fiction, they never solve the disconnect between reality and fiction. Someone wants us to believe that budgetary reasons are why the space program was curtailed and near Earth orbit missions are all that humans do. I'm not fooled by such explanations and am waiting for a more plausible explanation
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2019, 12:48 AM
    They said Christopher Columbus would fall off the edge of the earth.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2019, 05:01 AM
    Indeed, and but for Panama he would have. There is a vast difference between exploring the contiguous space on the surface of this little rock, and sailing a void. Columbus had a gaol and little idea of the distance involved, we on the other hand, are not ignorant.
    Expert

Jan 8, 2019, 06:31 PM
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2019, 07:39 PM
    Very true

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Day of Shame! [ 8 Answers ]

What is it all about? Well many might wonder. A gang of aboriginal louts attacked the nations leader over a rival politician's remarks which were so innocuous that it is a wonder they were noticed. However in a PC moment it is not possible to say anything about an aboriginal without violent...

Shame or not? [ 46 Answers ]

If a woman likes her coovorker and everyone can sense her feeling towards him even though she tries very hard not to show them: Is it a shame for her if she understands that others ( and him himslef) actually can see what's going on inside her,- that others understand that she likes her coleague...

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, My ex broke up with me 2 months ago and it's been nothing but an emotional roller coaster ride ever since. I thought with each day things would get better but in fact they seem to get much worse. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we still work together, and share the same...

A fool in love or just a fool? [ 12 Answers ]

I have been hanging out with this girl for about 3 or 4 months now we have a lot in common, I really like her and she really likes me the thing is she still has feelings for her ex boyfriend who broke up with her about 7 months ago, they were dating for about 2 years. I have really strong feelings...

View more questions Search