Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsfighter Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2018, 07:05 PM
    Child tax credit eligibility - 2018 taxes - Non Resident Alien
    Hi Experts,

I have a question regarding claiming the child tax credit for my child in my 2018 taxes. Following is my situation
    • We are not US citizens, I am on H1b visa and my wife and Kid are in H4
    • My wife and Kid both have valid ITINS and we filed jointly claiming my kid as dependent for 2017 taxes
    • My wife and I made an election under 6013G to treat non-resident spouse as a resident in 2015 when she was out of the country for a substantial period of time

2018 tax scenario:
    • My wife and kid stayed with me in USA - 59 days in 2016, 344 days in 2017 and 120 days (4 months) in 2018. They both left to India in May this year.
    • My kid is 3 yrs old and resident alien based on substantial presence test for 2018.

My main question is, one of the conditions for the child tax credit is "lived with you for more than half of the year". My kid stayed with me for 4 months in the USA and remaining months with my wife in India. I am not sure whether staying with my wife in India will be considered for this condition.
    Appreciate your answers and thanks in advance. Let me know if you need more information
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 28, 2018, 07:32 PM
    Note that it says "Lived with you for more than half of the year" and NOT "Lived with you in the United States for mre than half of the year".

Since you are filing jointly, the child DID live with his mother for more than half of the year, so you can honestly answer YES to that question.

Note that the child tax credit you will receive will only be for $500 as "Other Dependent". To get the $2,000, the child must have a social Security Number.
    itsfighter Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2018, 08:02 PM
    Thanks a lot for your answers. I assume I need to claim my kid as dependent as well to receive this credit correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 28, 2018, 08:33 PM
    Yes, that IS correct!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident alien filing taxes as resident alien? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am in international student from Germany and have been studying in the US for 2 years. I have hired a tax company last year and this year to do my taxes. This year, I had some additional questions and it turned out that my tax company had filed resident alien tax returns for me, although I...

Child born in 2010, resident alien or non-resident alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, We had a baby on June 30, 2010 in India. Me, my wife and my baby came to the US on Sep 21, 2010. I am on H1 visa, while my wife and baby are on H4 visa. My wife and I have resident alien status based on the number of days stay, but I am confused about my baby. She fulfills all the...

Child Tax credit for a resident alien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am married and on L1. I came to US in 2008 and I spent more than 183 days in 2008, so I am a resident alien. My wife and my son joined me later in 2008 and they did not spend 183 days in 2008. They spent around 150 days each. My wife does not have any income. Question: - Can I...

You.S. Resident Alien and Child Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

In IRS publications, whenever they mention "U.S. Resident Alien"--are they referring to their own definition of resident alien (i.e. someone who passes the "substantial presence test" or has a green card) or are they referring to the USCIS definition, which pretty much means someone who has a green...

Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN? I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense...

View more questions Search