Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pickledbeets Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2018, 05:16 PM
    I have a 95 Honda that has a problem starting when its cold.
    The starter engages, turns the motor and the motor tries to start. This happens 6-8 times then the motors starts and runs with no problem. This happens most when the engine is cold and ambient temp is 60 or below. I can then drive the car with no problem. There is never any check engine light and all of the equipment (heater, wipers etc.) runs with no problem. I don't want to wear out my starter on this problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2018, 01:43 PM
    Replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot. They become corroded, due to not changing the coolant frequently enough with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water. The ECT Sensor has two wires going to it, while the Engine Temperature Sending Unit has only one wire. People often get these confused.

Merry Christmas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Problem cold starting deisel 7.31 [ 1 Answers ]

Prior posts have been really helpful, but I have a dilema. I cannot seem to identify the GLR or rather which one of possibly two, side by side is it, or both. Please help. 2001 for F-350 super duty 7.3l. Have a photo but do not understand how to attach it here

1999 Honda EK3 Cold Starting [ 0 Answers ]

Car's gears does not engage immediately. The gas pedal has to be pressed hard, to between 2 and 3 rpm, before car moves but when it moves, it jerks very hard. The alternative is to let the car warm up so that the jerk I get when the car does eventually move is little. Any advice?

1994 Buick LeSabre - Cold Starting Problem [ 11 Answers ]

I own a 1994 Buick LeSabre. I bought the car new and have always maintained it very well. The car currently has 96K. Last year during winter, I changed the original fuel filter. Immediately afterwards, my car started exhibiting a hard to start condition in temperatures below ~40 degrees. ...

2002 Sonata cold starting problem [ 5 Answers ]

2002 2.4 l 110,000 miles cold starting problem. The car will start after about 10 seconds of cranking and runs normal. The fuel pump was replaced but did not fix. If I bump the starter twice and then try to start, the car will start and run normal, It sounds like a fuel delivery problem, no error...

93 Honda civic ex starting problem in cold, wet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Civic EX (2 door) that has a strange problem. When the weather is good - dry and warm, it starts and runs without any problem. But it won't start when it is wet or cold. I can not start the car in the morning and have to wait until the afternoon. I have changed the spark plug...

View more questions Search