Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noderman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Tax Refund Check
    I noticed something on my federal tax refund check. Printed right under my name, it reads: 5.85 interest. I don't recall having ever seen this before but maybe it was there and I never noticed it before. Anyone have any idea what that means?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 19, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Is it saying they paid you, or you paid them?
    noderman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
    It doesn't say either, just those words.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 10:06 AM
    I believe that is the current annual rate of interest the IRS pays on refunds that are overdue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Treasury Check for refund of overpaid taxes [ 20 Answers ]

Hi , I have received a US treasury check stating I over paid the taxes in 2005 and IRS is returning the money. The problem is the amount of the check I received is close to 50% of the my pay for entire year. I never over paid the taxes. I did my taxes for 2005 in March 2006 and I got...

Tax refund for F-1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am F-1 student and trying to file federal tax for the fifth year. This year an email was sent by one Mr. Tony Patel to all the Indian students in our university promising that we would get all the withheld amount back + $30!! Is this a genuine case? If I file by myself I would be getting...

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

Tax refund [ 5 Answers ]

:Hello! I have to fill my tax for 2006, and I want to do it by myself.But how to get a maximum Refund? I'm french, I went to america for 1 year, as a trainee with a J1 visa.I received wages during this period. After several searches, I found out that I have to fill and send: ...

How does the US/India tax treaty affect the state tax refund? [ 3 Answers ]

The people who make International Student Taxes have put a special resource page for Indians. International Student Taxes | Resources | Students from India I am stuck on a point in this page. To quote: "2. If you took the standard deduction last year, do not put anything on Line 4 of...

View more questions Search