Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    26238 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2018, 01:10 PM
    New Light Fixture with foreign wiring
    Wondering if someone can assist with providing assistance on a light installation. I've installed light fixtures in the past that had standard (United States) wiring without any issues. I purchased a new light fixture shipped directly from China and the wiring colors are brown, yellow and blue. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2018, 02:14 PM
    Those colors look like tail light colors in Japanese cars. Is this a car or house light fixture? I have installed a lot of lights and fans from China and never saw those colors except in connecting blocks for fan/light combos. First thing to do is get a VOM. Using the low OHMS setting, test a wire against the metal of the lamp base. If it shows continuity, that is ground. Next, test the center point of the bulb socket against the other wires. Whichever one shows continuity is hot. That leaves the last one as neutral if it is a household fixture. If this is a car light, there may be 2 filaments in the bulb. Then I would hook up a test circuit connecting the wires as you determined them, insert a bulb and power. If a car light, use 12VDC. If a house, use 120VAC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring diagram for combo light/night light/fan/heater bathroom fixture on one switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have a combo light/night light/fan/heater in the ceiling in bathroom. There are six wires on the switch 2 black, 2 white one red & one blue. I need a diagram on how to connect. I have three wires (one hot & two others)

Help with wiring my new light fixture! [ 6 Answers ]

I Have a question. I need to know how to wire my new light that has two clear wires to my old one that has a white wire and a black wire?

Old light fixture and old wiring... [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a light in my kitchen with a hanging light from a friends house. The wiring from the box is the same color (very old house and wiring) but I think I know which is neutral based on which was wired to the white and black on the previous fixture. The hanging light I am putting in has a...

Hunter fan wiring model 26107 light fixture wiring sequence [ 2 Answers ]

There are 4 lights Each light has a bnlack and white wire coming from it. The light switch has a bule wire, a red wire and a black wire from the main housing. There is also a white wire coming from the main housing. The fan operates fine I cannot get the lights to go on. What is the wire sequence?

Wiring light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I have two ceiling lights that are operated by one wall switch. Wall switch-----------------light 1-----------------light 2 Light two is just fine but the wiring from light two to light 1 is confusing me. It has 4 wires. Red, white, black, ground wire. The black wire is the hot. How do...

View more questions Search