Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Dec 15, 2018, 03:18 PM
    Drywall, load-bearing, ceiling
    Hello,
    Here's what I have; 50 year old construction. 2x4 trusses, spaced 22" centers (2nd floor). Running 28ft in length with a beam in the middle (14ft).For my ceiling I have nailed up 1" blueboard (Hard Styrofoam) directly to the 2x4 trusses.Getting ready to hang my sheetrock. I have screwed in 1x4 furring strips every 16". My plan is to screw the 5/8 sheetrock into the furring strips.Question being: will my ceiling handle the weight?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2018, 09:22 PM
    Why 5/8 drywall? Code required? Normally, 5/8" X rated is only required if there is habitational space above.What is the purpose of the blueboard? This is an attic space above? Why furring strips, run the drywall across the trusses, furring adds weight.

Feb 7, 2019, 11:40 AM
    Hello, 5/8 is code, Not to mention I have more than 16" centers. Bluebird is to add insulation Value.
    Straps (furring strips) are much easier to nail to than trusses. Project is done. Everything is satisfactory.

Alaska

Mar 13, 2019, 05:15 PM
    thanks for your help. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cracking drywall where a previous owner removed a load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1960. In 1979, a previous owner remodeled the kitchen, removing two walls to open the room up. The kitchen is at the front of the house, with the stairs to the basement behind it, and then the dining room is on the back of the house. The owner removed the walls on either side...

How do you know if a wall is load bearing [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to remove a wall between my bedroom and the one next to it. I also would like to bring the door down 3' in the hall. This would enlarge the bedroom from 12x11 to 12x14. The room next door is only 9x7 and I would turn it into a closet 6x7. How do you tell if a wall is load bearing, and...

Removing a ceiling fan load bearing canopy stuck in place [ 3 Answers ]

I'm attempting to replace a hunter type 3 ceiling fan model # 25826. The canopy is load bearing and will not release from the mounting bracket in the ceiling. Can't rotate clockwise or counter-closkwise. Motor housing and assembly have been removed.

Load Bearing Walls [ 21 Answers ]

How can you tell if it a interior wall or a Load Bearing Walls

Load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

Can explain to me about the concept of load bearing wall and the characteristic?

View more questions Search