Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaka67 Posts: 261, Reputation: 200

Dec 14, 2018, 11:46 PM
    Disrespectful Friendship?
    My long term partner has a friend who has sent her messages basically saying that he would like to sleep with her. That's she's a 'honey' and he wants to look at her all day. My partner told him that they she cares about him and feels that they have things in common but doesn't want a sexual relationship.

I found this out through text messages I read.

So should I be annoyed that they went and had dinner together? I trust my partner and know she wouldn't cheat on me but I find the continuation of this friendship to be disrespectful to me and our relationship.

What you think? Overthinking on my part?
    Let me reitterate there is no cheating.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2018, 02:03 AM
    Time to discuss it and watch out for the backlash on your snooping

Dec 15, 2018, 02:45 AM
    Yep I'm in trouble!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 15, 2018, 06:52 AM
    If you were snooping through her phone to find those text massages, don’t you find that to be disrespectful to your partner?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 15, 2018, 09:31 AM
    If you don't have the guts to admit to your snooping, then no way can you have an honest conversation about your feelings about this fellow with your partner. Have you met the guy? Are you threatened by HIS disrespect for your relationship? For me that's the real issue, and your partner thinks she can keep a friendship with someone who has an agenda that she KNOWS of, and frankly she will have to find out if she can for herself.

Of course you should be annoyed, I certainly would be, but it comes down to YOU owning your own actions before you demand anything from HER! Yeah she may be mad as heck, but ask yourself had you NOT snooped you wouldn't be annoyed would you? I must ask how long you have been committed to this partner, and have you set rules of good behavior that you both can live with? How old are you both? This seems to be more of a honest communications issue, and maybe the real question is why she has not shared these texts with you.

How do you know that she didn't shut him down already? Or set boundaries of good behavior between them? I guess you will have to keep snooping to find out, or come clean yourself, and risk her ire, and whatever else comes with it. I have always let my long term partner (wife of more than 40 years) handle her business her way, but we both get to know our opposite sex friends, of which there have been many I might add. We also both have permission to access each others devices, but this is after years of honest give and take and reaching an agreement that works for both of us.

That's really your challenge. Reaching a solution that works for you both through HONEST communications. LOL, that often means enduring the emotional drama and fallout. My suggestion is you find the courage to deal with whatever comes next.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2018, 12:35 PM
    Your error in snooping, it shows a large lack of trust of them. This is a serious relationship issue.

Dec 15, 2018, 01:01 PM
    We've been in a relationship for over 20 years.
    We both have trust issues, nonw of it to do with cheating

Im more than happy to cop a mouthful about my snooping.
    I have never met any of her friends. Her choice.
    Im not threayened by him at all. Shes not responsible for what he says or does Im.more dissapointed in her lack of loyalty to our relationship.

We're in a bad place at the moment but this, for me, was a game changer. Cheating, which I see this as, was never something we'd had on our radat.

Her previous relationship was controlling, but as my counsellor says, that was over 20 years ago...

When I get the chance to talk to her about this I will as it has put a large wedge between us to the point I have temporarily moved out.

This is just one issue on top of many...

Thanks everyone..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would you continue a friendship if you wanted more than a regular friendship? [ 3 Answers ]

If there was a guy/girl who you like and would want to be his/her s but she/he doesn't t have the same feelings but really wants to have a normal friendship, would you ignore your feelings that it d hurt every time you d hang out with him/her because you d know how it could be and how it isn't t...

Very confused about a Woman Friendship/More/Friendship then more? [ 4 Answers ]

So a few months ago a Woman started to talk to be at work and come to see me everyday, I never really noticed her before but after she took interest in me, I obviously did. All my work colleagues started to say that she likes me and that it is obvious and that I'm blind not to see it, I brushed...

Is this disrespectful? [ 4 Answers ]

If you recently had a fallout with your partner, is it appropriate to keep talking as "friends" immediately after?

18 yr old disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Please for those of you who have young adult children I need some advice. This is a long complicated story but the short version is this... My daughter at 16 had to deal with the death of her biological father. She met a boy (criminal) completely disrespected me and her step father, lived on...

View more questions Search