Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    W_dryden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2018, 07:04 AM
    Countertop Not Flush
    Our 11ft. Island was crooked by 3.5". Before centering, the countertop was flush with all the cabinets, but now it's only flush on one end and not the other. The builder doesn't know why and won't fix it. It's an open floor plan, so from a distance it's very noticeable and looks sloppy. Why after moving, it's no longer flush on one end?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2018, 07:52 AM
    What do you mean by "before centering, the countertop was flush with all the cabinets?" To be flush with all cabinets means top's dimensions exactly match the exterior of the island cabinets, right? This is a bit surprising, as typically an island top is designed to have a 1-inch or more overhang over the face of the cabinets below, and not be flush. So please explain what you mean. But in any event, if the island countertop is not properly aligned with the face of the island cabinets on all four sides with proper overhang it was miscut, and should be redone. There's an old saying in home construction: "measure twice and cut once." It sounds like the countertop was cut without measuring the actual cabinet dimensions, perhaps assuming (incorrectly) that the cabinets would be perfectly square.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 14, 2018, 07:53 AM
    Start with reviewing the measurements are proper for the materials used, and investigating if the foundation has settled or shifted. If the fault is the builders and you have PROOF, then the builder is liable for damages or repairs. Get another contractor to do this work, and get an estimate of repair and the cause of damages in WRITING.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2018, 10:36 AM
    Can you post a picture? Not sure how an island could have been installed 3.5" off, that is a tremendous amount over 11 ft.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet only seems to flush completely down about everyother to evry third flush [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, it only flushes completely down every other flush to every third flush, how can I fix this?

First Flush of Toilet does NOT work right BUT second flush works great? [ 4 Answers ]

We have 2 toilets and both have the same problem. The first flush does NOT work right and will NOT flush completely, water rises and then goes back down. The second flash works GREAT? We have plunged and clean out all blow or jet holes NOthiNG is plugged? Short of double water bills and the...

Can't get syphon flush to work. Very weak flush resulting [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced a syphon type flush mechanism in a toilet cistern. I fillet up the cistern with water and tried to flush the toilet. I get a very weak flush with a lot of gurgling noises. I can't seem to get a proper syphon effect. Any suggestions as to how I might to get a proper flush? Ball valve...

View more questions Search