Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    connie unrein Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2018, 08:11 PM
    Inhereted property
    hi my dad gave me his 1/3rd of his mothers property which I received a check for 60.00 along with my aunt and uncle they were in such a hurry ti sale that they sold it for 40.000 less than market value and filed as a 1099 on our inheritance how much will I owe
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 12, 2018, 08:59 PM
    If your father GAVE it to you, you must use 1/3 of what the property was worth when your grandmother died. Assuming you know WHEN she died and the property address, you can contact local real estate professional who, for a small fee, will give you the fair market value (FMV) on the date of your grandmother's death.

I assume the "60.00" figure is in fact $60,000. Let's assume the FMV of the property at your grandmother's death was $150,000.

One-third of $150K is $50,000, which means YOUR share of the capital gains is $10,000.

How much you owe in taxes depends on how much your other income was in the year you received the $60,000. The tax could be as high $2,800 or as low as ZERO.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws protecting property owners when mortgage company moves mobile home off property [ 3 Answers ]

My mother had a mobile home on our property and she recently passed away. There is a screened porch attached that my husband and I paid to have built. There is hard stucco all around the bottom of the home that will have to be broken up before the home is moved. The mortgage company wants to come...

Is property bought with heneritance money considered community property in Texas? [ 0 Answers ]

My step mother purchased property with monies that was left to her by her father. It was raw land at the time. There have been improvements made to the property by my father. Is it now considered community property? Is there a deed that would make it not community property?

Property taxes put in my name by seller resinding on property who owns the house [ 3 Answers ]

Property taxes put in my name because seller resinded as owner who legally owns the house

SC Private Property Accident Directed by Property owner personnel [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my question and some back ground information. I was on private property when there was a medical emergency in progress. There were no signs, no alert, and no sirens. I was not aware of the situation. A person in uniform was blocking the property's exit and starts directing me...

Landlord and loose dog on leased property, doesn't property go with the lease house? [ 31 Answers ]

I lease a house that has a front yard and a backyard and a legal apartment off to the side. My landlord and his dog live in his apt in the garage that I do not think is legal. When we moved in he told us he would be moving in a few months. Before he moved he let his big german sheperd mix run...

View more questions Search