Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lcencasa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2018, 03:54 PM
    listed as a co-owner
    I am listed as a co-owner of my parents' home as well as my siblings. We are on the deed along with my parents. My parents are now deceased. If we sell the house, what are the tax implications for each of the offspring.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 12, 2018, 06:13 PM
    Unless you actually help PAY for the house, adding you to the deed was in effect a gift from your parents to you and your siblings. That implies the requirement for them to file a gift tax return (IRS Form 706).

If the addition of the siblings was done within the last three years, the Form 706 can still be filed, with the signature requirement being done by the executor of the estate. Note that the gift tax return is NOT a simple return (the form is 31 pages long), so professional help will be needed.

If adding the children to the deed was done BEFORE 2015, then I would file Form 706 as an estate tax return and show the house being transferred to you and the siblings as part of their estate.

Note that filing the Form 706 as either a gift tax return or an estate tax return does NOT necessarily mean that you will owe taxes. The Unified Credit usually exempts most transfers of property via gift or estates from any taxes. Under current 2018 estate tax law, estates under $5 MILLION in value pay NO estate taxes.

All things considered, I recommend you contact an estate lawyer and discuss your situation with him/her in detail. I am confident that NO taxes are due, but I have not actively researched your question, so my solutions in terms of the filing advice may not be adequate, especially if there are state-specific restrictions. A competent estate lawyer will be able to provide you with a legal strategy to adequately deal with your situation in the state where your parent resided. The cost (probably about $500) is minimal when you consider the implications of NOT properly dealing with this problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land Owner as Condo Owner on HOA Board [ 1 Answers ]

The condos are on leased land. The land owner owns two condo units in the complex. The land owner has been elected to serve on the Home Owners Board of Directors, HOA. Where is the conflict of interest? There is opportunity for undue interest / influence by the Land Owner on possible...

When a house is for sale by owner does it HAVE to be listed? [ 4 Answers ]

I am searching for house I believe to be for sale by owner. I have the address, but I am not sure where to search for a listing or if it even will be listed? Does the owner have the choice not to list?

What is the difference between owner's capital account and owner's equity? [ 1 Answers ]

I saw this sentence in a book of accounting which put me in doubt that there is some difference between the two, the sentence is "The balance of the Owner's capital account in the ledger will now be the same as the amount of Owner's equity appearing in the balance sheet."

If two people own a home can one owner charge the other owner rent [ 1 Answers ]

If two people qwn one home can the other owner charge rent

Owner's equity, owner's claims and balance sheet [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the following questions. 1. On June 30 of the current year, the assets and liabilities of Phoenix Phildell are as follows: Cash, $20,500; Accounts Receivable, $7, 250; Supplies, $650; Equipment, $12,000; Accounts Payable, $9,300. What is the amount of owner's equity as of July...

View more questions Search