Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    for3ms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2018, 04:59 PM
    Can you supply a formula for a given word problem?
    The sum of two numbers is 24 and the product is 140, what are the two numbers? The answer is 10 and 14, but what is the formula to find? I used a chart.
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Dec 16, 2018, 01:00 PM
    Unless you are preparing for mcq, it is best to learn how to solve ot rather than memorizing formulas. Nevertheless, if you need it, I will tell you how to derive a formula. Try yourself then. And tell me if you need further assistance. The sum is 24. So if the number are x and y, you get x+y=24. And product is 140. This tells you that x*y=140. You you have got two equations. Solve them to get a quadratic equation. Try solving the quadratic equation using the quadratic formula.and that will be the formula that you need.
    NikiZie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2019, 04:08 AM
    Definitely it's a quadratic equation.
    { x+y=24
    x*y=140
    At the intersection of the X and H axis at your graph there will be a solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Determine a formula to a word problem [ 3 Answers ]

If you have a bank account with zero balance and are given $200 to start it on day one and each day after you are given the balance + $5.00 how long will it take to have the sum of $10,000.

Does anyone know the formula to solve this word problem? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know the formula to solve this word problem? Gina can solve all the problems in a chapter in 12 hours and karen can in 16 hours, how long will it take them working together? I know the answer is 4.8 hours but I don't know how to get that answer

Word Problem: Create supply kits that include one package of colored pencils, one glu [ 1 Answers ]

Word Problem: Create supply kits that include one package of colored pencils, one glue stick and one ruler. The colored pencils are packaged 12 boxes per case, rulers are 30 to a box and glue sticks are packaged 4 per box. Question 1: What is the smallest number of each supply you will need in...

Word Problem: Create supply kits that include one package of colored pencils, one glu [ 2 Answers ]

Word Problem: Create supply kits that include one package of colored pencils, one glue stick and one ruler. The colored pencils are packaged 12 boxes per case, rulers are 30 to a box and glue sticks are packaged 4 per box. Question 1: What is the smallest number of each supply you will need in...

Quadratic formula word problem [ 1 Answers ]

A football is thrown to a reciver 40 yards away. Using the quadratic formula y = -0.025x(Squared) + x + 5 determine: a) How many yards from the quarterback does the football reach it's maximum height and b) What is the footballs' height at that distance.

View more questions Search