Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giggle_monster Posts: 84, Reputation: 0

Dec 9, 2018, 10:27 PM
    Slightly confused and needing advice
    So I met this guy officially in person on Oct. 25. We got introduced on a dating website/ app called MeetMe. He’s very sweet and real because once again I’ve met him in person. We had our first date a couple days after that. When he took me home he said he wanted to take things slow. Then a few days after our first date I stayed the night at his house. We cuddled up and went to sleep together. We did that basically once a week. Then a few days ago (Thursday 12/6) he told me he wanted things to be casual and to not get attached to him and That I’m not allowed to tell him I love him. The problem is I think I’ve already got attached to him. Because we fallen asleep together all cuddled up several times (sometimes for long periods like more than nine hours), shared past childhood memories good and bad, met most of his family, he’s bought me stuff that I’ve needed and stuff I didn’t need but got it for me anyway, and we’ve sent good morning and goodnight text to each other every night since we met (sometimes with the kissy emoji), and when I’m having a crappy day he tries to brighten. In the beginning he even sent me pictures of flowers. Idk what to do? I looked online on what casual relationships means to guys and basically most of them said friends with benefits type relationship. I mean if he wanted that type of relationship then why would he have me meet his family or why would he want to meet mine? Or have me spend the night and fall asleep together cuddled up? Can someone give me some advice on how to talk to him without pushing him away or getting myself hurt too much?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 10, 2018, 05:27 AM
    I'm surprised that you did not set some boundaries when he first told you he wanted to go slow, and keep it casual. You seem to have run head first with the warm and fuzzy feelings and of course you have grown attached as most people do when they spend so much time in intimate setting and doing intimate things together. He probably has too. Strangers tend to go with the flow when they become comfortable with each other. That's not confusing, but rather natural when dating. It's also natural to move too fast and get too attached that you ignore the obvious, and slow yourself down and find the level of communications that gives you both guidance and knowledge, not just what's on his mind but yours too and the fear you have of being to attached, and he may not be as attached is a valid place to start that honest communication.

Thing is that if you're more worried about pushing him away than exploring if you can have that so important honest communications, then you are afraid of the wrong thing, and will never know his true feelings beyond assuming, presuming and hurting YOURSELF. Just because the dates are great and the cuddling divine doesn't mean you can talk and listen to each other, and from what you wrote, you are at the point to let go of the fear of what COULD happen and find out what IS really happening between you. Is it friends with benefits as you say, or can something be built beyond the comfortable with each other and the cuddling?

Back up, slow down and take the time to find out before you lose yourself in the good feelings. If he cannot handle your honesty, then cuddly stuff means nothing right? If your afraid of sad, hurt feelings then why date in the first place, because that's ALWAYS a risk when two people meet. Its barely a few months any way and there is a huge amount to learn yet... about him... and YOURSELF.

Enjoy the learning experience but be smart. Yeah I'm a guy, and casual is always the first thing from my mouth when I date a new girl, and that was before meeting girls on the Internet. Obviously I was born too soon. Let me ask a bit about YOU if you don't mind, like your age and past dating experiences, and if this was your first internet date? Do you work, and are you independent from your parents? Got friends and a great social life?

You do know that casual doesn't just mean FWBs, but also the freedom to meet, greet, and date others don't you? I guess it goes back to those PERSONAL boundaries I started with, as guys, (And women no doubt) will push them as far as you let them. Always have the COURAGE to stay with your own definition of YOUR dignity and self respect and have no fear of dealing with your own feelings.

Questions?
    giggle_monster Posts: 84, Reputation: 0

Dec 10, 2018, 08:02 AM
    I’m 25 now. Most of the guys were asswholes. Like one of my exes was too controlling so I ended it with him and another ex dumped me because he said we drifted apart but I later found out he was flirting with one of my best friends while we were still together and as soon as we broke up they got together. Well I did meet another guy off the internet before him but we only went on one date because he said he didn’t want anything serious at the moment and I did. Yeah, I’m a manager at Wendy’s. I’ve been working there for two years. Yeah I have friends and most of them I work with. I have an okay social life but that’s because I work mostly that I don’t necessarily do a lot of socializing. Thank you for helping me and being honest. This really helped me out and I plan to talk to him on Tuesday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Needing advice in MN [ 0 Answers ]

In Minnesota I got my first DWI in Jan 29, 2012 (misdemenor). In court the judge put me on 2 year's probation, fines to be paid, and a chemical assessment evaluation. But, he didn't say anything about staying sober. I did go to the chemical evaluation appointment, and the lady says that they...

Needing advice please [ 10 Answers ]

Where do I start.. my boyfriend has an addiction, he got 4 preindictment for selling to an undercover.. but in all truth he was never even selling.. they knew that he knew where to get the drug from so they asked him if he knew where to get it from and he said yes got in there car and took them to...

Slightly confused?? [ 2 Answers ]

Its been only a few weeks when he asked me out. And nothing much has happened yet. Nothing to to tell about the relationship. But when I compare the days when we were friends or of those days piror of asking me out... now it kind of feels dead... when I asked him if have pissted him or or...

Slightly confused. [ 26 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about this girl... The thing is, I have german class with her about 3 times a week.. and I've gotten to know her better and better for the past.. 5 weeks. She has been giving me "signs" but I'm a bit inexperienced so I'm not sure if she's interested in...

Needing help // advice. [ 9 Answers ]

So.. Im 18 now, male.. and wanting to have a more serios meaningful relationship. Problem? I've been single for a couple years now and seem to be deemed permanently single :| I'm just having no luck at all. I'm one of the few who's not just in it for a one night thing, and actually like getting...

View more questions Search