Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2018, 01:50 AM
    I don't understand your point
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 15, 2018, 06:25 AM
    You cannot support the functions of government without a system of taxation.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2018, 06:47 AM
    For the wealthy, the government takes their word about what they throw in the basket
    Not sure what you mean there. Are you saying the feds don't keep up with what the wealthy pay in taxes?
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2018, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You cannot support the functions of government without a system of taxation.
    Income tax is a recent innovation
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2018, 07:16 AM
    True. Had to pass a constitutional amendment to allow it here. It started as something like a 1% tax on the wealthy. To put in mildly, it has grown. Oh, for the good ole days.

Expert

Dec 15, 2018, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    If by recent you mean 1902?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_Australia

The first income tax in Australia was imposed in 1902 by Queensland.[1]Federal income tax was first introduced in 1915, as a wartime measure to help fund Australia’s war effort in the First World War.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2018, 02:15 PM
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could get the feds back to consuming a mere 20% of GDP? Amazing how much more money would be available for efficient use in the economy.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2018, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Yes That's what I mean. Income tax was supposed to be a temporary measure and when the federal government took over all taxation we were told income tax would be abolished before the new millennium. No matter how many modifications there have been to the system we are as far away from that goal as ever
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2018, 02:32 PM
    when the federal government took over all taxation we were told income tax would be abolished before the new millennium.
    Good grief, Clete. How old are you?? Your mind is amazingly sharp for a man so old. (note: joking)
    Expert

Dec 15, 2018, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could get the feds back to consuming a mere 20% of GDP? Amazing how much more money would be available for efficient use in the economy.
    Never took you for a hopeless romantic before.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2018, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Good grief, Clete. How old are you?? Your mind is amazingly sharp for a man so old. (note: joking)
    Yes I am amazingly sharp for my 76 years, Tal, but you see certain statements are not lost to history, and as an accountant I am acutely aware of tax matters, that is why I can say with conviction taxation is theft, politician condoned theft. It is a neat package, telling us of the benefits which never quite materialise. It was even used in France in an attempt to bring about climate change, but the religious fanatics of the AGW lie must not succeed, we cannot be taxed to achieve scientific myth
    Expert

Dec 18, 2018, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes I am amazingly sharp for my 76 years, Tal, but you see certain statements are not lost to history, and as an accountant I am acutely aware of tax matters, that is why I can say with conviction taxation is theft, politician condoned theft. It is a neat package, telling us of the benefits which never quite materialise. It was even used in France in an attempt to bring about climate change, but the religious fanatics of the AGW lie must not succeed, we cannot be taxed to achieve scientific myth
    Yes I often agree with your logic Clete, but must disagree that taxes are theft simply because they often serve a purpose for a bigger picture especially in a country like France that have bigger issues than climate change to address. It cannot be ignored nor can the social challenges of sluggish economics. Macron is challenged for sure, but it's not entirely his fault but he is the LEADER right?

I think we have enough data to know a raise in taxes that doesn't go for the general population, is not very well received, just as a cut in taxes that the general population cannot feel is just as bad an idea.

PS

JL complimented your sharp mind, not me, though we agree on that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search