Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janet0405 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2018, 03:54 AM
    Replacing ceiling fan
    Hello:
    Have old ceiling fan/light in kitchen I am replacing. There is copper ground, a red wire, 2 bundled black wires and 3 bundled white wires. I understand green goes to copper, asssuming red goes to blue but unsure what to do with the bundled white and black wires. I tried wiring white to bundled white and black to bundled black. It tripped breaker. Thanks
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2018, 09:17 AM
    There is copper ground, a red wire, 2 bundled black wires and 3 bundled white wires.
    I assume this is what is coming from the ceiling, in which case it seems there is more than one fan/light/whatever on this circuit. Are there two fans? Also, do you have two switches, one for the light and one for the fan, or just one switch for both?

Generally you would go blue to red If there is a separate switch for the light (which would seem to be your case since there is the one red), then black to black for the fan and white to white with green going to the bare ground. However, if you are running the light and fan on one wall switch so that you use the pull chains to turn off/on the light and fan, then blue and black from the fan/light go to the black coming from the switch, white goes to white, and green to bare ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMyShlNNreY
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2018, 03:38 PM
    How were the wires connected to the old fan?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2018, 02:30 PM
    You should really use a VOM to check what lines have power and when. How many switches? With a red, it would indicate 2. You may find someone used a switch loop so looking at the wiring in the wall box is a good idea. Tell us what you see

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing ceiling fan [ 18 Answers ]

I am trying to put in a light fixture where a ceiling fan was. There are three sets of black & white wires with one single red wire. I have located the black wire that is bring power in, but when connected with the white (of the same set) the switch on wall does not turn light off.

Replacing ceiling fan with ceiling light [ 19 Answers ]

Replaced ceiling fan and light kit with a ceiling fixture. The fan had a black, white and red wire. The new light has black and white only. The light is controlled from two switches one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. I connected the black and white wires and capped the red wire....

Replacing a ceiling fan with a ceiling fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to replace my plain ceiling fan with a nicer one with lights. Do I have to hire an electrician to put in new wiring? There is no remote with it. Thanks.

Replacing a ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing a ceiling fan... turned off all the breakers but electricity is still flowing... if the light switch is off can I still get electrocuted doing the wires?

Replacing ceiling switch with ceiling dimmer [ 4 Answers ]

Hi community! I'm quite OK when it comes to home electricals replacing sockets etc etc but this is an odd one. I have a bathroom ceiling switch with 2 wires coming to it (N & L). The ceiling dimmer switch seems to have 4 terminals; N & L Load and N & Live In. I'm foxed as to which way to wire...

View more questions Search