Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2018, 01:29 PM
    Does it matter which building gets power first?
    I'm interested in building a house and shop on some land. I have not contacted the power company yet as I wanted to get some advice on how to route the power into my property and if I have any options available to me. The entrance to my property is funnel shaped with about a 300' road leading into the gate. On my attachment, point 1 is where the end of the county road meets my private road, point 2 is where my private road leads into my property, point 3 is where my shop will be located and point 4 is where my house will be located. My question is does it matter if I take power to the shop and then to the house, or do you have to go to the house first and then to the shop? The house will be around 1600 sq ft and no unique power needs. We'll have I guess "standard" HVAC, stove, water heater, dryer and well pump connections, so I guess 200A would do it. The shop won't be anything really unique either. It'll be about 1300 sq ft and I'll be running only 1 power tool at a time like a table saw or planer, or maybe 2 at a time like a dust collector while the tool is running. I would like to be able to run a 240v welder, but just a "standard" buzz box stick welder. It'll be just pretty much a "hobby grade" shop, not a commercial enterprise, so maybe a 100A deal? Maybe 40-60A would do it, I don't know. Ideally, I'd like to put a little utility building just inside my gate and then trench everything myself as I have time so I don't lose any more trees than I have to. If the power company brings the line in overhead, I think it's a 15-30' wide lane they have to have and I'd rather not cut that many trees down if I can help it. However, depending on how much they're willing to run for free versus what I have to pay for, that may sway that decision. :) If anyone can look at my map and at the two power company sheets and tell me what I'm looking at, I'd appreciate it. I'll answer any questions I can. I just want to be as informed as I can be when I approach the power company. Thank you.

AP Install Rates.pdf
    AP Install Rates 2.pdf

Name:  Power Line Measurement.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  48.8 KB
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 3, 2018, 11:42 AM
    Hi John, Appendix C is an estimate of what APCO is going to do, and evidently they will chart and dig their own trenches, OR run your overhead lines whichever you choose. Appendix A is simply the after install charges for further service if needed. I would need the entire thing for context and detail but it looks pretty standard and if I remember correctly you would have to pass inspection before any power hook up work is done. This is where you pull your local REGULATIONS, as you may have to get some permits, and there you will find what you have to have.

Before you spend a dime you should already have your own cost estimates with a bill of material that meets your local code for both buildings, and their usage.

A good read:

https://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/ne...united-states/
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 3, 2018, 01:08 PM
    Your local power utility will make those decisions for you.

Dec 3, 2018, 08:15 PM
    Ok, I'm just trying to figure out my layout right now and how and where to run my infrastructure before I get ahead of myself. Once I get more along with the clearings for my house and shop, I'll call the Util and get them out there to look at it.

Dec 7, 2018, 06:23 AM
    Oh and just so y'all know, I'm not planning on doing this work myself. :) My county has no building permits, and even though I've got a bit of electrical experience such as running outlets, installing breakers, etc, I am by no means an electrician. I will have a licensed electrician connect the panel and install all the wiring. I might move or add an outlet if my wife says "can we have one over here" that kind of thing, but I will not be doing the work myself. :)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 16, 2018, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Your local power utility will make those decisions for you.
    Actually, most utilities will work with the customer and do what they can to accommodate.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
    Ok, I'm just trying to figure out my layout right now and how and where to run my infrastructure before I get ahead of myself. Once I get more along with the clearings for my house and shop, I'll call the Util and get them out there to look at it.
    There is not much we can tell you here. This is something you really need to go over with a site meeting. Tell them what you want to do and they'll give you your options.

One thing I will say is that no way will you be able to run secondary (120/240V) that far. You are going to need to run primary (high-voltage) to a transformer closer to the house and shop. Typically secondary is limited to 250' underground, and a little bit farther overhead.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2018, 06:37 PM
    "One thing I will say is that no way will you be able to run secondary (120/240V) that far". I'll second that. At out GA mountain house, we are almost 300 ft. from the road. They set a pole and transformer on the property next door, ran a 100 ft. line to their house and another somewhat shorter line to our house but they had to install an intermediate pole at our house because of the trees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know how much power comes into my building? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a sub panel so that I can add some outlets and a clothes dryer into my workshop building. However, I do not know how to tell how much power is supplied from the utility pole into the building. I don't want to overload the system. I will also be adding a hot water heater but the...

I am running 100 -150 feet of underground wire for power to a outdoor building. [ 15 Answers ]

What size wire do I need for 100-150 feet for power to outdoor building. I want 220v at least 55amps to building. When I get into building I want 110 for swithces for lights and a couple of 110 outlets for drills and such

What does a building manager charge for on call serices for a condo building? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked by a property management company what I would charge to a condo board for on call resolve to building maintenance problems, noise complaints etc. They want to be charged per issue. Some things would require going on site to meet the trades and some issues could be resolved by...

Building a Custom Power Strip [ 12 Answers ]

Here’s what I want to do: I am basically making my own power strip. I want to control each outlet with its own switch. I want to use an extension cord for my wiring by pulling out the wire. What do I run to each screw? Please see the pictures for the details. If the pictures are confusing, let...

View more questions Search