Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wordplay44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2018, 08:47 AM
    Accused of a HIPPa violation by coworker
    12/5 I was accused by a coworker of taking home signature logs with PPI information(ppl Social Security and name) I then went to the Hippa officer and made a formal compliant about the claims staring it was untrue . My question is can the coworker sue me for defamation of character about the accusation??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2018, 08:59 AM
    Let me flip the question. Could you sue the coworker for making the accusation? You made a formal complaint, just as the coworker did. This should be handled by your risk management team.
    Wordplay44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2018, 09:05 AM
    Thank you for your quick reply but I am confused what do you mean can I sue them I was told by the HIPPA officer that I was protected under the Whistleblower laws which protection someone from retribution from coming forward. I also don't understand how can this be handle by risk management?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2018, 09:24 AM
    It can be handled by Risk Management as it relates to the patient information. Your compliance officer is correct in that you are protected. So, if you are a protected employee, why are you concerned?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2018, 12:04 PM
    Whistleblower laws protect you from the company. Not from the individual.

If what you said was true and can be proven, even if you are sued, then the proof of their wrong doing is all that is needed.

(Although merely taking information home, is not a violation if
    1. they are authorized to do so
    To the material is properly protected while at home.

So perhaps you needed to verify the information before filing a formal complaint.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2018, 03:01 PM
    PS it is HIPAA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Falsely accused of HIPPA [ 11 Answers ]

I was falsely accused of a hippa violation that was reported by the step-mother of my niece after she attempted to have my niece seen for services at my place of employment. Due to step-mother not having verbal or written permission by a biological parent she was refused service. This event took...

Being Accused of a HIPAA Violation [ 11 Answers ]

I previously wrote an email below to my coworkers at the clinic where I work regarding my thoughts on the abrupt termination of a long-time coworker who I've considered as part of the family. Since the announcement only mentioned her last day of work as Nov. 12 and nothing more. Since her abrupt...

Can I sue my employer or coworker for violating health privacy (HIPPA)? [ 6 Answers ]

I found myself in the hospital needing surgery. When I returned to work I found out that the general manager of the facility had violated my right to privacy regading some particular information about the situation to some coworkers as well as an ex-employee. Just trying to discoveer what kind of...

Wrongly accused of HIPPA violation [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Washington state. I work in admitting at the hospital. I am being falsely accused of a HIPPA violation. The accuser is an ex-brother in law and his girlfriend. What are my rights as an employee if I should happen to get fired over this? I did nothing to violate the policy. Because of...

View more questions Search