Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mickeyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2018, 07:22 AM
    Small claims appeal in NY
    I was sued in Small claims in NY. I filed a counterclaim. The judge decided that I owe only some of what the plaintiff was seeking and dismissed my counter claim. The plaintiff appealed. Is that legit? I thought the plaintiff cannot appeal if it "wins" even if only partially.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2018, 12:09 PM
    I am not from NY, a quick review of court procedure did not show any limitations on this.

The appeal can be costly to them
    Normally no new evidence is allowed
    They must show some error in the lower court ruling.

On a positive note, they could award you more.

On the sad note, even if you win, most small claims are never paid, even after you win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small Claims appeal in Texas, I am defendant, and want to file motion to dismiss. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a defendant in appeal to county court from small claims court in Texas. The JP granted appellant rights to property but dismissed their request for money due to lack of jurisdiction. So I want to file a motion to dismiss since the JP court lacked jurisdiction the county court lacks...

Texas small claims appeal [ 3 Answers ]

I am in middle of a battle with former leasing management for my deposit in TEXAS. We already went to Texas JP Small claims court. I won. Now the other party appealed it to County Court level. They are trying to scare us with a lawyer and questioning and so forth. Several questions 1. Who is the...

Appeal of Small Claims Court Ruling [ 11 Answers ]

Before my daughter moved out of her apartment she gave the landlord 30 days written and oral notice. In the move she lost her copy of the notice. The landlord did a walk through and approved it, never mentioning that there was any problem, but he didn't return her security deposit or give her any...

Can I file appeal for small claims in NY [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was taken to small claims court by my ex. He had lent our daughter money to purchase a car. They had a written agreement between them that both had signed. He did not want to register or insure the car in his name so I did so in my name. He then paid off the original loan. My...

Small claims Appeal [ 2 Answers ]

I am appealing the Texas Small Claims Court decision (and judgment) to the County Court. I've got two questions, if I win my appeal. 1) Can I recover my attorneys fees and costs (such as the cost of the Appeal Bond)? 2) Will the Small Claims decision and judgment be removed from my credit...

View more questions Search