Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mfd186 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2018, 10:31 PM
    Why do A15 LED bulbs fit sockets that A19 bulbs fit?
    If they both have a medium base why do they have different base numbers? Bought 40W LED bulbs for my outside door lights for my house. One had a A15 base with lower lumins than the bulbs with a A19 base. They both fit in the outdoor light sockets. If they're both medium base, then they should have the same base number, but they don't. Can I use either one in my outdoor light socket with no problems? Thanks, Ken
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2018, 05:21 AM
    The A15 and the A19 number is the designation of the bulb size, not the medium base. Bases or socket numbers begin with "E". The diameter of lamps is measured in 1/18ths of an inch, so the A15 lamp is 1.875 or 1-7/8ths inch diameter, and the A19 lamp is 2.375" or 2-3/8ths inch diameter. This is a carryover from glass manufacturing. Lamps will have several specifications: type of base- E26 is for medium base, shape of bulb, "A" in your case, size of bulb - 15 & 19 in your case, wattage, lumens, and color temperature. Clear as mud?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LED bulbs [ 2 Answers ]

When I replace all the bulbs in my ceiling fan with LED none will light until I replace 1 with an incontecent bulb 3 speed fan and no reastate in it

Bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between day lite bulbs 850 and grow lites? My wife wants to start her garden seedlings . I have day lite bulbs and wonder if they could be used over grow lite bulbs

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash [ 0 Answers ]

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in a fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash what is causing this

3 way bulbs [ 2 Answers ]

:rolleyes: what wattage do you get when you put a 3 way bulb in a one way socket

The cost for 1500 watt MH bulbs and Multitap ballast for MH bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the cost of installation for 1500 watt MH bulbs and Multitap ballast for MH bulbs. Materiall cost will be beneficial. Barbara Ivory

View more questions Search